2014 F150 3.5EB Tuned 5w-30 Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Does a Hyundai Theta II GDI 2.4L (non - turbo) fall into the category of a known design issue where localized fuel escape concentrations would be a potential issue - or are Hyundai's Theta II GDI 2.4L engine fuel dilution issues of a different nature ?
Originally Posted by dnewton3
The towing and tune clearly are not a concern here; good typical wear and low contamination. Even fuel seems moderate for an EB.

Extended OCIs are at the risk of the owner, obviously. I always advocate for longer OCIs, but when it comes to EB engines, ONLY with proper baseline established, and controlled methodical extension with proper monitoring tools (UOAs, PCs, visual observations, etc). The risks and rewards need to be understood prior to the adventure being undertaken.

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND NOT PROVEN, SO TREAD WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT I CANNOT BACK THIS UP WITH ANY HARD DATA...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-I4HhNDJfs
What seems to be of concern to me, with ANY DI high-pressure fuel system such as this (irrespective of OEM brand) is that IF you are seeing high fuel content in your oil, it's probably coming from a direct internal leak of the pump in a localized area. Hence, the cam lobe that drives the HPFP, and the subsequent damage to the pump follower as well. When fuel escapes this style of pump, most all of that fuel is going to be locally distributed FIRST at the point of the leak (in and around that specific area). That will cause the localized oil at the point of leak to be GREATLY diluted, and only then later dilute the whole sump. So while the fuel content of the sump might only be 1% or less in a UOA, the LOCALIZED fuel effect at the lobe where that HPFP exists might be getting hosed down with minute fuel concentrations every single stroke of the HPFP.

I would actually advocate for occasionally removing the HPFP and visually observing for abnormal wear on both the lobe and the HPFP follower. This is why I way it's important to know your unique engine design and issues. And why that ONLY using a UOA is dangerous. I always advocate for UOAs, PCs, and visual observations when the unique engine design demands it.

There are some engines that are VERY reliable and have proven through tens of thousands of UOAs to have good wear and a good reputation. There are times when I will directly advocate for an OCI extension because I'm intimately familiar with the engine design and it's wear traits. (Ford 4.6L; Ford 3.5L Duratec,). These engines do have issues, but they are not avoided by shortening the OCI. For example the internal water pump leaks of the Duratec 3.5L has nothing to do with the oil change interval; you cannot stop the leaks from happening by shortening the OCI duration.

With any of Ford's EB DI engines, they all use the HPFP design that I know of. If I owened one, I'd be personally not only doing UOAs to track the overall engine wear, but I'd also be pulling off that HPFP to track the localized pump wear.

Caveat Emptor.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Does a Hyundai Theta II GDI 2.4L (non - turbo) fall into the category of a known design issue where localized fuel escape concentrations would be a potential issue - or are Hyundai's Theta II GDI 2.4L engine fuel dilution issues of a different nature ?
The towing and tune clearly are not a concern here; good typical wear and low contamination. Even fuel seems moderate for an EB.

Extended OCIs are at the risk of the owner, obviously. I always advocate for longer OCIs, but when it comes to EB engines, ONLY with proper baseline established, and controlled methodical extension with proper monitoring tools (UOAs, PCs, visual observations, etc). The risks and rewards need to be understood prior to the adventure being undertaken.

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND NOT PROVEN, SO TREAD WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT I CANNOT BACK THIS UP WITH ANY HARD DATA...
What seems to be of concern to me, with ANY DI high-pressure fuel system such as this (irrespective of OEM brand) is that IF you are seeing high fuel content in your oil, it's probably coming from a direct internal leak of the pump in a localized area. Hence, the cam lobe that drives the HPFP, and the subsequent damage to the pump follower as well. When fuel escapes this style of pump, most all of that fuel is going to be locally distributed FIRST at the point of the leak (in and around that specific area). That will cause the localized oil at the point of leak to be GREATLY diluted, and only then later dilute the whole sump. So while the fuel content of the sump might only be 1% or less in a UOA, the LOCALIZED fuel effect at the lobe where that HPFP exists might be getting hosed down with minute fuel concentrations every single stroke of the HPFP.

I would actually advocate for occasionally removing the HPFP and visually observing for abnormal wear on both the lobe and the HPFP follower. This is why I way it's important to know your unique engine design and issues. And why that ONLY using a UOA is dangerous. I always advocate for UOAs, PCs, and visual observations when the unique engine design demands it.

There are some engines that are VERY reliable and have proven through tens of thousands of UOAs to have good wear and a good reputation. There are times when I will directly advocate for an OCI extension because I'm intimately familiar with the engine design and it's wear traits. (Ford 4.6L; Ford 3.5L Duratec,). These engines do have issues, but they are not avoided by shortening the OCI. For example the internal water pump leaks of the Duratec 3.5L has nothing to do with the oil change interval; you cannot stop the leaks from happening by shortening the OCI duration.

With any of Ford's EB DI engines, they all use the HPFP design that I know of. If I owened one, I'd be personally not only doing UOAs to track the overall engine wear, but I'd also be pulling off that HPFP to track the localized pump wear.

Caveat Emptor.

From a few web searches I've found, the answer to your question is "Yes."
read the 3rd paragraph, last sentence
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=20

This is an older version of that engine, I think (not that familiar with Hyundai engines, but it seems apparent in this vid):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkyvJN4wlM

Here's a 2016 Santa Fe; I presume a similar engine to yours, if not the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TEow9c4Ts

Pretty much all the GDI engines use either an engine valve cam lobe, or an unique extra cam lobe, to drive these fuel pumps. It's a popular method to achieve the task.

Last edited:
*Good Stuff - thanks for posting !...I'll have a UOA on this engine at the severe service mile mark (3,750 miles) to see what I can learn ... Goal with the UOA is to establish a base line now that Hyundai engine is broken in (33K miles) having used D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oils at
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Caveat Emptor.

From a few web searches I've found, the answer to your question is "Yes."
read the 3rd paragraph, last sentence
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=20

This is an older version of that engine, I think (not that familiar with Hyundai engines, but it seems apparent in this vid):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkyvJN4wlM

Here's a 2016 Santa Fe; I presume a similar engine to yours, if not the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TEow9c4Ts

Pretty much all the GDI engines use either an engine valve cam lobe, or an unique extra cam lobe, to drive these fuel pumps. It's a popular method to achieve the task.

3 questions:
1) what's a "PC"?
2) I have fuel dilution concerns, you've seen some of my rants/posts. The question is, if I decide to replace the HP fuel pump, what makes me think the new pump won't have the same problem? In other words, so many of these pumps leak, are they all bad? Is there a better brand, or version? The FD was an issue with my first UOA (@ 35k), so who knows how much earlier problem started, still there at 36k (2nd UOA at 900 mi), and more recent UOA's have inconsistent/unreliable results (2 labs, 3 runs, FD ranged from 5.3% to 1.5% on same sample...OAI sticks with their "final" 1.5% as "official").
3) I changed the plugs, 5 looked reasonable, the 6th, the one directly below the pump, was completely coated in carbon. Is engine plumbing such that that one cylinder gets the extra fuel? No codes, allegedly. Ford of no help. Independent says whole bank running rich (compared to other bank), but Ford denies this. So I won't be getting a new pump on their nickel (tho still under warranty).
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quote]
....I always advocate for longer OCIs, but when it comes to EB engines, ONLY with proper baseline established, and controlled methodical extension with proper monitoring tools (UOAs, PCs, visual observations, etc).

Caveat Emptor.

Just changed the oil today and will send out for analysis this week. Did 7500 miles on Castrol edge with lots of towing, should be interesting results. Also getting tbn.

Originally Posted by covshark
Just changed the oil today and will send out for analysis this week. Did 7500 miles on Castrol edge with lots of towing, should be interesting results. Also getting tbn.

It will be interesting - for sure! Little different base oil and different add-pack blend with Edge.

Originally Posted by Navi
The replacement cost for the engine is 10 grand but fortunately this is under my 150k Ford care extended warranty.

This is why I say to play it safe with this truck. Use Castrol 5W40 or 0W40 or Mobil 1 0W40...its same price as every other oil at Walmart. Change before 5000 miles.

Also consider a catchcan. Make sure you changing the air filter when it needs it. Use a high oil quality filter...Im using Royal Purple and Purolator Boss.

There is some logic to the previous poster about "feelings" but I say "play it safe". It cant hurt to change it before 5k or use the 0W40 or 5W40. Who knows what else is going on with this engine thus keep maintenance at a perfect level.

Why bother having a 150k extended warranty if you're using an oil that is not spec'd for the engine, hence they can void your expensive extended warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back