2013 Kia Optima 2.0T, Castrol Edge 5W-40, 4,773 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Someone needs to comment here. Guess I'll start and normally my replies draw more responses.
Good job. Just Keep running a more free-flowing filter with that high viscosity oil, designed like OEM.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cleaning power is also a good choice here. If you can find 5W40 or even 10W30, that'll work well too.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
with that high viscosity oil,

I think he's running PUP 5w30 now per his signature, if that's current.

Good report. I like Blackstone, but referring to 1 - 3 ppm iron as "a little higher" is ludicrous. Well within testing variances.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Signature updated. 5w40 is acceptable viscosity per owner's manual. And I actually prefer a thicker oil due to fuel dilution.

My Korean-made 2.4 is not as responsive using a 30w 10cst over the factory fill 20w 8.5cst. Be interesting how it would react to a 40w 5w40, which is probably an 11cst.
If I ran 5w40, it would certainly only be from May to October here in Michigan. I doubt my Manual shows it as approved.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Good report. I like Blackstone, but referring to 1 - 3 ppm iron as "a little higher" is ludicrous. Well within testing variances.

They probably have had to start including statements like this so people don't panic when they see an increase

What oil were you running at the 43,327 mile analysis ? That seems to have been good for your vehicle ???

Originally Posted by DTAM
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Signature updated. 5w40 is acceptable viscosity per owner's manual. And I actually prefer a thicker oil due to fuel dilution.

Great oil and looks good but I would suggest using Polaris to run the UOA as I've found I can't trust BlackStone's fuel dilution figures. Plus you get TBN and oxidation figures for about the same money. I run Castrol Edge 0W-40 with ~4K OCI.

Originally Posted by 1WildPig
What oil were you running at the 43,327 mile analysis ? That seems to have been good for your vehicle ???

4qt M1 TDT 5w40 + 1qt M1 5w30.

TDT has since been reformulated in the last 18-24months

Where to you buy your ~5 quarts of Castrol Edge 5W-40 oil?

My Korean-made 2.4 is not as responsive using a 30w 10cst over the factory fill 20w 8.5cst. Be interesting how it would react to a 40w 5w40, which is probably an 11cst.
If I ran 5w40, it would certainly only be from May to October here in Michigan. I doubt my Manual shows it as approved.

it isn't. Your 2.4 has approval to use 5w20/30 and 10w30.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

Where to you buy your ~5 quarts of Castrol Edge 5W-40 oil?

My stash is from a great deal found on amazon over a year ago. 6- individual quarts for about $25. I have seen 5qt bottles make appearances randomly at the local Walmart and:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/145736795

*Per Manual I believe you will find for the 2.4l : 5W20 , 5W30 , 10W30 only .

Correct.
Besides, if it ain't SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2, it ain't going in my wife's Hyundai, at least not for the first 10y/100k.
We are on-track to have 80K on the vehicle in 10 years. I'll be happy to be still breathing then and know where I parked the Hyundai last...... lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Kjmack
And alot of guys on here po po the Castrol 5w40 , looks pretty good to me .

+1000

I agree it looks fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back