2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 1.8L TGDI - P034062 - Cam Adjuster Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CMAMerc
Hi all, have a few questions. I am in the middle of this project and have hit a road block. I have installed the new cam adjusters but they do not seem to be lining up. I have attached a few pictures to show this. When initially placing the holding tool, it had a hard time locking down. After putting the new cam adjusters (both intake and exhaust) the tool fell right into place. With this though, the middle ring and the cam adjuster are not in alignment with the top mark. I have not put the new tensioner in as I wanted to see if I was missing something. I marked the chain before removing the old adjusters but it almost looks like I need to shift the chain over a link on both the intake and exhaust. Thoughts on proceed? Secondly, when removing the old thermostat the spring portion snapped off in the timing cover, any ideas how to remove that? Thanks again for the help.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those marks look passable as long as the crank is at 0-deg TDC. If the tool fits, you should be in good shape. The crank pulley will "freewheel" when the tensioner is our, so keep that in mind. Take a look at the marks that I posted in the beginning of the thread.

The marks will never line up 100% perfect, especially if you reuse the timing chain.

For the thermostat, I guess you'll either have to pull the cover back off or find a way to knock the thermostat out of there.

Okay, thanks so much. The crank did freewheeled slightly (tensioner is still out), caught it at about 3 marks off center, brought it back to center but wondering if that has messed anything up or if I'm still okay because the tensioner was out and the holding tool was still in place.

The other question I meant to ask is in your original post you mentioned the middle mark being off. Is this something we need to manually move back (is it love able?) or should it have moved back to center in its own. Reason being mine was advanced on the intake and did not move back on it's own so wondering if I missed that.

Originally Posted by CMAMerc
The other question I meant to ask is in your original post you mentioned the middle mark being off. Is this something we need to manually move back (is it love able?) or should it have moved back to center in its own. Reason being mine was advanced on the intake and did not move back on it's own so wondering if I missed that.

If the tool fits, it will probably be passable.
The marks on the adjuster are not lining up due to chain stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back