2012 Chevrolet Express 4.8L: What to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been impressed with the GM vans. The interiors might be crude but they aren't as problematic as the Transit. I think that 4.8L Vortec will scream like a banshee when you need to get going but it should be fine cruising. U-Haul also specs the 4.8L Vortec on their 10' box vans on the GM platform, and those things get ragged on hard.

If the 4x4 conversion was done with OEM parts(as it looks like Quigley does with stuff from a 4x4 Silverado/Sierra HD) you should be fine.

Quigley has been around for a long time and has a good rep, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of their work.
Having driven these vans new with both the 4.8 and the 6.0, I know which engine I'd select.
The 4.8 always feels underpowered while the 6.0 feels plenty strong.
No real difference in fuel economy in actual use either, although nobody ever bought one of these vans for their fuel efficiency.
$30K does seem like a lot for an aging GMC van, but I'm sure the price is negotiable to any serious buyer, just as with any other new or used vehicle in the hands of a dealer, as opposed to a private party who may well be delusional about the value of what he's selling.
Dealers have enough sense to take a little less to consummate a sale while private parties typically don't.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I'm going to go see it today.

The 4.8 vs 6.0 discussion is interesting. Although, I am just tagging along as the "inspector" of this thing, so I don't particularly have any allegiances one way or another. The team is currently using a 2WD express, and it's performing fine, so I imagine this will be fine as well. I agree on the
crazy2.gif
price tag, but alas, it's not my money so that isn't my decision.

The team is all juniors, so they're each under 150lbs I would guess, although there will be 15 of them + gear. I don't think they need a speed machine either.

It sounds like there isn't anything that breaks on these things, so that's good. Their current Express (2WD) "Failed to start" last winter, and "Needed re-wiring" to make it functional again. I didn't dive into what that meant - the messenger was not particularly car-savvy so didn't provide more details.

Originally Posted by Rand
83000 miles 8 years old and $30000? doesnt add up.. also 4.8L in a 2500 4x4??

4.8s were used in 6-ton 3500 cutaway box trucks.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Yes, the Express in this thread has a 6L90 and 3.42 gears. In a 4.8 Silverado you'd get a 4L60E and probably 3.23 gears.

As the van is a 2500.....The only option is a 6L90E, Actually it's a 6L80E/6L90E hybrid, Has a 90 case & gearset with 80 clutch count. This goes for every gas powered 2500/3500 Express/Savana.

The 4.8L was never offered in 2500/2500HD pick-ups.

The 6 speed helps the little V8 quite a bit! Not such a dog like it is with a wide ratio 4L60E.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Miller88
Friend of mine has a 2011 4.8 2500 Express van. It pulls strong. We hauled a pickup truck on a uhaul trailer back from NC. He never went below 65 the entire way. Even in the crazy hills!

I find that pretty interesting. What's the vehicle weight like, versus your run of the mill Silverado? 'cuz it seems no-one liked the 4.8 in the Silverado. I'm guessing because of the 4AT followed up with highway gearing.

His has the 6 speed auto and seemed to be geared pretty good for towing; it wasn't cruising 70mph at 1500RPM like most 1/2 ton GM trucks. I will say it wasn't light as we were moving a friend's stuff as well as his vehicle home. So the van was packed with stuff too.

It pulled one of the hills in PA at 60 that my F-350 5.4 (with 4.10 gears...) could only pull my Jeep on a trailer at 35.

Granted, there were more gears in play, a torque converter and someone at the wheel who isn't afraid to let the engine run at the rev limiter for minutes on end.

Goes to show just how much GM cobbled some of their vehicles with that 4AT. It was a good idea, back in the day, but was way outdated by the 21st century.

But I guess all OEM's do that, come up with ways to convince you into the next model up.

I don't think that torque convertor does much on hills. Once above 2k or so it should be pretty locked up / in a low slippage region, thus with very little if any torque gain. If anything more of a loss on the hills (if not locked up then slight slippage making heat, plus the pump making heat). A motor that likes to rev, and a transmission that can keep it high in rpm, that I bet was the difference, not the TC.

With the 6 speed auto i think the 4.8 will be fine. Who cares if you rev it out? Its a shorter stroke than the standard LS engines. Some take the 4.8 crank and make a destroked LS and rev it super high.

If 4x4 vans werent so rare i would suggest holding out for a 6.0.

Went and checked out the van yesterday. There are actually 2 that they have. The one "pimped out" van, and another one without all the gaudy additions. The story is that they were both USGS Fleet vans.

Regular Van: Wasn't allowed to drive it because "it hasn't been through our shop yet". Even though it's being sold "AS-IS No Warranty"
- 85k miles
- The dealer has sprayed bed-liner on the bottom 5" of the vertical panels. There is over-spray onto everything - muffler, frame, ground, wheel wells, etc.
- Minimal to no rust on the frame or anything underneath. The exposed bolts are almost rust free as well.
- Two rubber-to-metal lines going into the left side of the radiator are oily on the outside. Not sure if these are transmission oil cooler hoses?
- Power steering reservoir is low. Oily steering line.
- Tie rods and steering connector bushings are greasy on the outside. Boots aren't visibly torn (didn't wipe off the grease to check)
- Drive shafts to the rear have some slop in the U joints. I don't have enough expertise to know how much tolerance there should be in these.
- Tires are worn and weather cracked
- Dark oil. Old rusty filter with dents from something.. Looks like they tried to take it off but couldn't.
- "Caked" shock absorbers, but no visible wet spots

Pimped Van:
- Same bed-liner. Same overspray on everything
- Slightly more rust, but again fairly good condition
- Running boards attached to the frame with mild steel and regular hardware
- Drives fine. Loud with those big tires. Didn't seem to have any issues with suspension or steering, etc.
- 4WD engages fine. No complaints.
- Silly aftermarket (likely non-DOT) headlights
- Blacked-out everything

The regular van is a bit cheaper, and seems to be the better van, but without driving it.. who knows..

Last edited:
From what the OP said, they hadn't run it through the shop yet. You know, looked for problems, cleaned the carpets, whatever. I'm guessing if he goes back it'd be ready for a test drive.

There's some psychology here, need to put best foot forward. Someone comes in knowing exactly what they want might get turned off when they drive it but there's trash on the floor and it's not been washed yet--might lose the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back