2010 Mazda 3 FL400s options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stepped away from the forums for a few years and upon my return the once "amazing" puralator and motorcraft filters are now trash and Fram seems to be often recommended. I've been using the larger than spec FL400s on the 2.0 Mazda, but now our local Walmart doesn't carry this filter. I need to change brands and buy Instore (fram) or look online for Motorcraft or any other brand. What's your recommendation as we typically run a very extended OCI (10k plus)? I prefer to stick with the larger filter which isn't the spec for the car. Bosch 3422?

Last edited:
It seems the Motorcraft 820 is the problem child in the Motorcraft line of filters. Most filters have an occasional problem.

I've run many Motorcraft FL400s filters on my 2010 Fusion's 2.5 engine, and every one that I've cut open was in excellent condition after a ~7,500 mile OCI. The FL400s filters are not the problem.

You could go with Fram if you like, but I'd say just stick with the MC FL400s. If you can't find them at your local WalMart, then you can get them on Amazon for under $4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
I've run many Motorcraft FL400s filters on my 2010 Fusion's 2.5 engine, and every one that I've cut open was in excellent condition after a ~7,500 mile OCI. The FL400s filters are not the problem.

You could go with Fram if you like, but I'd say just stick with the MC FL400s. If you can't find them at your local WalMart, then you can get them on Amazon for under $4.

This is exactly right ^^↑^^^

The Motorcraft fl400s filters have all been excellent.

It is the 820s that have been jacked up a lot with holes in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back