2010 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi 78000 miles, 6000 miles on Redline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA on Jeep with Hemi. Redline has now been used for 2 consecutive 6000 mile intervals. Has definitely quieted, but not eliminated "tick" sounds. Oil filter is FL820s Motorcraft. Vehicle has AFE dry filter intake and Diablosport tune with MDS turned off .Sorry that image is sideways. Not sure why.
[Linked Image]

Not bad; ~2.75 ppm Fe per 1k mi is more than I am used to personally, but IIRC it might be lower than the Blackstone averages for Hemis. Maybe burla will be along soon and share, he has quite a database of Hemi UOAs that likely have that info in them. Have you considered getting a particle count done to see if there are larger contaminants circulating, as spalling on the cam lobes would not show up on the UOA but should on the PC? Some of the other "universal" averages would also be illuminating such as on the higher silicon readings. Your next sample should be enough to start to generate a decent trend, and with a 5.3 TBN reading you will likely be able to stretch that OCI out longer if that's what you'd like. Thanks for the UOA!

Thanks for the comments! I believe the silicon readings are in line with the 2 most recent Redline VOAs in that section(0w30 and 0w40). I think the sodium is from previous runs of Valvoline and Schaeffers that have sodium in the add packs. Not sure if this lab does particle counts.

The iteration of their synthetic 5w30 before the current D1G2 had sodium in the add pack, along with their usual moly, antimony, etc.

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
The iteration of their synthetic 5w30 before the current D1G2 had sodium in the add pack, along with their usual moly, antimony, etc.

I'll take your word on it but I've read back to 2008 and VOA's if s9000 contained only trace amounts of NA.

If you look at the analysis on PQIA from 2013 or 2014, it had 472 ppm of sodium. I had a case of this purchased around 2014 or so that I used

I've been thinking about switching to Redline 5w30 for me new Rebel. Did you notice anything different performance wise when switching to a 30 vs a 20?

I have not noticed any perceptible difference in performance with 5w30 vs 5w20. I ran 5w20 for the first several oil changes, then did a couple with a mix of 20 and 30, then have been running 5w30 for the last several. My Hemi has always had a "tick" and nothing made a significant difference in it(I posted a thread on this a while back) until I started running the Redline. As stated above, the engine is by no means silent now, but is definitely quieter. No plans on changing from the Redline at this point. Will probably do another UOA in future just to compare to this one.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
With that great $50 oil I'll be frank your wear metals don't impress.

Which is consistent with everything the oil analysis places say, that a UOA isn't about the oil.

Compared with wear metals from other engines, I'd agree the "numbers" aren't the lowest, but for a 5.7 Hemi, I think they are pretty good. If you check out some of the iron and copper levels on UOAs on Ram Forum, I don't think you'll find many with single digit levels.

Compared with wear metals from other engines, I'd agree the "numbers" aren't the lowest, but for a 5.7 Hemi, I think they are pretty good. If you check out some of the iron and copper levels on UOAs on Ram Forum, I don't think you'll find many with single digit levels.

Are those numbers better than say QSUD at nearly 1/3 the cost?

Are those numbers better than say QSUD at nearly 1/3 the cost?

UOA's aren't designed for that purpose, you can't just compare wear metals and divine performance, that's not how it works. You'd have to do tear-down testing to truly gauge any sort of performance difference and I doubt anybody is interested in doing that.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My Gawd! We have members here that think Quaker State, Havoline and Supertech equal Red Line.

Thanks for the Report drfeelgood.

Very likely for the average driver. The additional benefit is money saved.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My Gawd! We have members here that think Quaker State, Havoline and Supertech equal Red Line.

Thanks for the Report drfeelgood.

What evidence do you have that Redline gives better UOA numbers?

"My Gawd?" Should this post be reported for religion? Or are you the only one who incessantly reports people's posts (with no apparent effect)?

With that great $50 oil I'll be frank your wear metals don't impress.

Quite frankly we all don't want to run to our local Walmart store and buy Quakerstate, Pennzoil, Supertech, or the flavor of the month Mobil 1

People are free to spend their own money on how they see fit - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back