2009 Infiniti G37x

mjk

Looking for feedback from owners. Oil consumption, general maintenance, longevity, etc.

Haven't owned Nissan products in a long time. I know MPG is not good, but other than that, thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Drove in a friend's 2006 G35x, and it was a blast.

MJK,

I have a 2009 has 130k miles on it.
No oil consumption. Engine is wonderful.
Pulls strong, corners and brakes like a dream.
I get 16 mpg driving in city traffic. Lead foot.

Cons: Dash instruments only partially working. Would cost $1500 to fix at dealer.
I have a rattling noise at low speed. I think it is the catalytic converter.
Paint is not good quality.

I had a 2012 370Z. I would never own another manual Nissan, and I did test-drive the automatic 370Z first, and the programming of the 7A was abysmal compared to my Mazda automatics. That said, the VQ series of V6's are excellent, but do prefer a good synthetic oil. I'd own a G37X if I wanted one. Not a bad choice. The AWD system though, I have no idea about. The VQ's can use a little oil. Mine would go through about 1/4-1/2 a quart every 5K miles, but then, it WAS in a 370Z with a manual, and I drove it.

Last edited:
Rear subframe bushing, rear timing cover (oil gallery) gasket (wasn't fixed until the 2013 model year) and possible head gasket seepage (if this one originally came from the factory with Nissan green).

Other than those issues, these cars are very solid.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Rear subframe bushing, rear timing cover (oil gallery) gasket (wasn't fixed until the 2013 model year) and possible head gasket seepage (if this one originally came from the factory with Nissan green).

Other than those issues, these cars are very solid.

+1

These are the biggest issues they have. Some people complain the turning radius is small on the AWD models. I test drove several and didn't really notice, but I didn't like the twitchyness (is that a word?) of the steering on center on the highway and the throttle/trans programming seemed a bit odd.

After 2007, which has the VQ35HR or VQ37HHR, oil consumption is a non-issue. In fact, the myth about these cars using excessive oil is restricted to the "RevUp" version of the VQ35DE engine, if I'm not mistaken, but it keeps repeated (wrongly) over and over as gospel.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
After 2007, which has the VQ35HR or VQ37HHR, oil consumption is a non-issue. In fact, the myth about these cars using excessive oil is restricted to the "RevUp" version of the VQ35DE engine, if I'm not mistaken, but it keeps repeated (wrongly) over and over as gospel.

It's not necessarily an issue before 2007 either. I've had two VQs, one in a 2003 G35 and the other a 2004 Quest that I still own at 192k miles. The 2003 (in a G35) never consumed any measurable amount. My 2004 Quest (192k miles) will occasionally consume about 1/4 quart if it's taken on long trips in a 5,000 mile OCI. Pretty negligible.

As stated by The Critic, these are pretty solid engines, although previous maintenance always plays a factor. The rear oil galley gasket is kind of a pain, but mine was transverse mounted in the Quest when I replaced it. Laborious, but not terribly difficult to replace. I'm sure it'd be easier in a rear wheel drive G37. Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if it's leaking and bleeding off pressure.

It helps a lot if you know the service history of your 2009 model.

I've owned the 2007 M35 with the VQ35 motor since it was new. It's been an outstanding vehicle. I've done 4,500 to 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic blend 5w-30, and the most oil it uses is 1/3 quart between changes. Brake pads and rotors have lasted well. Replaced front pads and rotors once, rear pads twice and rear rotors once. I replaced struts and spark plugs at about 105K miles. In mixed driving I've always gotten between 21.5 and 22 mpg. In 12 years, it's only thrown one code (cracked air intake hose) and I've replaced zero bulbs,

I'll keep the car until 150K or until the wife loses confidence in it.

Originally Posted by 28oz
It's not necessarily an issue before 2007 either.

That's my point but if you go by "the forums", you might as well buy stock in an oil company because of the amount of oil you'd believe these go through. Supposedly....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by 28oz
It's not necessarily an issue before 2007 either.

That's my point but if you go by "the forums", you might as well buy stock in an oil company because of the amount of oil you'd believe these go through. Supposedly....

Agreed. I think it depends on prior maintenance more than anything................just like any engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Had a couple of buddies with them. They were both the "x" versions so they had AWD.
Overall they seemed to like them, which is good considering they live on the Canadian prairies where weather is very harsh.

I've got a 2013 6MT Coupe. The engine is fantastic but you have to take it to top shops only. Usually I do too, but this was a Saturday and I had a coolant leak. I had a shop screw up a water pump repair by putting the timing chain on incorrectly. Have had all sorts of issues ever since. The biggest issue is the leaking sunroof. The drain plugs get clogged and water seeps very close to the ECM. It's honestly an embarrassment and if that weren't bad enough, the dealer wants $1,500 to fix it. You go through tires very quickly too because of the staggered set up. Overall, if you can find one with good sunroof drains, I'd highly recommend it!

I had a 2012 370z. Transmission was horrible. Otherwise decent car. Vq37 was the highlight, suspension and transmission refinement (lack) were the downsides.

Back