2009 Elantra Commuter Car

2009 Hyundai Elantra sedan, 2.0l mpi engine, manual transmission. Currently 205,000 km on the odometer. Purchased new and car has been great.

Starting in August my commute will go from 22 km (14 miles) round trip to 180 km (112 miles) round trip, all highway. Since the car has been out of warranty I have been changing the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. The manual suggests for severe service 6 months/6000 km and I have usually been under that. Normal service is 12 months/12,000 km.

I am going to try to talk my company into letting me work from home a couple of days a week. That will mean I am putting on at least 26,000 km a year and possibly 43,000 km a year. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum with an OEM filter. I may try Walmart brand synthetic at some point too. Would you run 6 months and 13,000 km (8,078 miles) drain interval? I don't think I would try 6 month / 21,500 km intervals, but probably would do 3 month / 10,750 km intervals if it came to that.

I would go with the 6 months/13000 km oci but check the oil level at the halfway point. I've used Walmart synthetic oil in the past with good results but I would stick with the OEM filter.

Are these long highway commutes at posted speeds, or some stop & go traffic.
Longer OCIs with mostly highway posted speed driving are expected here.

In my '04 Elantra (same 2.0 Beta II engine) I was doing mostly highway driving and did 5,000 to 7,500 mile intervals during warranty and went to 10,000 mile intervals when my warranty expired. .
Oil analysis came back fine and engine was running just fine using no oil when I sold it with 140,000 miles on it.
I still see it around 5 years later. No idea on the mileage on it now, nor the oil change interval.

I'm not sure what your SuperTech Synthetic is up there?

SuperTech Syn (WPP) - 15,000 km
Mobil 1 or PP - 20,000 km
Mobil 1 EP - 30,000 km

At least assuming those are 90% Highway Miles.
The truth is compared to your current commute you should be able to double your drain interval.

Last edited:
I had a 2008 Elantra automatic sedan used as a winter car. Nice little ride. Wife liked it more than our Outback. Your owners manual I believe states 7,500 miles for regular service or 3,750 miles for severe service. With all of your upcoming highway miles, I'd change at at 7,500 miles and not worry a lick about length of time.

We have a 2008 Elantra in the family nearing 140k and it's been very good until recently when the EPS light occasionally comes on and the power steering becomes manual suddenly. Hyundai had a 'campaign' (#127) on this but now says it's over (which is ridiculous on such an unsafe condition). I do agree with those who say it's a nice, simple, comfortable car. I also agree with 7500 mile OCI regardless of time.

I just bought a 2020 version. I've owned three Elantras prior to this one and I've always followed the Hyundai non-severe guidelines (because I do mostly highway miles). Highway miles are certainly the easiest and you have been overly conservative with your OCI prior to this so I'd say you would be good using the Supertech & the higher interval.

And I agree.... the Elantra is a great inexpensive commuter choice.

Those engines are pretty much bulletproof as it is. The Stupertech synthetic oil will work just fine on your intervals. It is a good, stout oil and will serve you well. Like earlier stated, stick with OEM filters.

Hey everybody. I'm coming up on my next oil change interval at 10,000 km. I currently have Supertech 5w20 synthetic in the car and it has been fine. However, it appears as though walmart near me no longer carries the 5W-20. Similarly at Costco with the kirkland oils. They have it online but I'd rather buy it in store. Instore they only have 0W-20 and 5W-30. Can either of these be substituted for 5W-20? Which one would you choose?

Hey everybody. I'm coming up on my next oil change interval at 10,000 km. I currently have Supertech 5w20 synthetic in the car and it has been fine. However, it appears as though walmart near me no longer carries the 5W-20. Similarly at Costco with the kirkland oils. They have it online but I'd rather buy it in store. Instore they only have 0W-20 and 5W-30. Can either of these be substituted for 5W-20? Which one would you choose?
I would use either with out a second thought . Those motors are not fussy and hyundai specs various grades as acceptable to use.
Being in Alberta i would use 5w30 summer 0w20 winter.

I usually look at it like, if you’re using a 20 weight oil I’d rather run a 0w20 than a 5w20 any way.

Last edited:
Back