2009 corolla 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota says 5k on dino, 10k on synthetic
smile.gif

Sale prices and rebates can make synthetic oils priced the same as or even cheaper than dino

My 2007 Corolla went 178k trouble-free miles on 5k conventional 5w-30 changes. AFAIK it's still being driven daily by the new owner. I doubt the 09 engine is much different.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Toyota says 5k on dino, 10k on synthetic
smile.gif

Sale prices and rebates can make synthetic oils priced the same as or even cheaper than dino

Thank you! I may still run a less expensive synthetic for 5k

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The Owners Manual says 5K Dino and 10K Synthetic?

No it states either 5w20 or 0w20 may be used. Doesn't specify conventional or synthetic. But it says oil and filter change every 5000 miles

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The Owners Manual says 5K Dino and 10K Synthetic?
No it states either 5w20 or 0w20 may be used. Doesn't specify conventional or synthetic. But it says oil and filter change every 5000 miles
Slightly later manuals for most Toyotas, including ones with that same engine, state 0W-20 should be used, but that 5W-20 may be used. They go on to say 5W-20 must be replaced within 5000 miles. To avoid confusing easily confused customers, the manual says nothing directly about synthetic vs. conventional, but they were aware that 0W-20 was nearly always synthetic, while 5W-20 was not necessarily. The maintenance manual, in contrast, specifically says conventional 5W-20 may be used, subject to the same restrictions; it says nothing about synthetic 5W-20. All that implies the answer to Triple_Seven's question is "yes."

Therefore, I'm using synthetic 5W-20 in mine, at intervals of roughly 8.5k, to be a little more conservative than their 10k suggestion.

Toyota has these recommendations for synthetic oil:

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.
If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32Ëš F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

To recap, the decision to use synthetic isn't black and white. You should take care to read and understand this choice prior to opting for it.

Originally Posted by Bettez88

Originally Posted by Rolla07
The OCI is 5k miles (8k kms). My 07, Ive used 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 5w40, 5w50. This engine will take whatever you give it. Ive alsorun conventional but mainly syn since like many of us, I seek out deals. A solid price for oil combined with mail in rebate comes out to the same or cheaper than conventional. Worst case a 5qt of Supertech syn can be had for 16$ or so. That price to me makes it a no brainer. Ive run my oil to 6200 miles using a syn oil and cheapo napa proselect and my oil analysis was excellent, could of gone longer. If I were you, run 6k miles and use the cheapest syn you can find. Even if u choose to go conventional, that engine will outlast the car.

Think it's a waste to use the Oem filter too? I could run the ST 10358 and their 5w20 synthetic for 5 k and the filter would probably hold up well

Bettez-
You are obsessing about an 11 year old hooptie car. Anything will do.Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back