2008 Pontiac G8 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a car for my trip to Cleveland, OH from STL since my employer is paying the tab and oilBabe is taking the newest of our vehicles, a 2002 Sienna to Dallas at the end of the week.

So I reserved a G6, thinking that would be a good size for the 550 miles I'd travel. I get to the counter and the lady says we've got you in a G8, whatever that is. So I told her it was the new Pontiac, made in Australia. The first thing she says is can't we make those here?

Good question.

Anyway, the bus takes me to my car and it's in some boy racer orange, and looks like it has all the go fast goodies, with the hood scoops, the wide stance and the low profile tires, dual exhaust, etc. But the keys where no where to be found, so I hike to the office and the lady says one of the guys must be hanging on to the keys so he can take it home. About 5 minutes later, one of the guys brings the car to the office and I am on my way.

My first impression is that the controls are not well thought out. I'm sure I could learn to use them and did for the most part. Although I'm not sure what the settable overspeed alarm is for, and I don't advise you setting it until you know how to turn it off, LOL.

The red "LED" display for the stereo is impossible to see at sunset traveling east, so it will be washed out at times at sunrise and sunset depending on your direction of travel.

The seats seems supportive, and this example with 1800 rental miles seems reasonably well bolted together. The car handles well. I've not tried it on any really challenging handling yet, so my comments so far are based on how it "seems."

The engine doesn't match up to the looks. While I didn't expect a V8 in a rental ride, the car screams go fast, but the engine is just adequate. It's a heavy car and the 3.6L V6 is coarse under load. During cruise, it's fine, and so far, according to the display has delivered 25.3MPG is 35 miles of freeway and around town driving.

The 5 speed automatic has three modes, normal mode, put it in drive and go. There is a sport mode, drop it in drive and move the shifter to the right and it appears to use a more sporty program to shift, and the manual mode which allows you to upshift and downshift by moving the gear shift lever forwards and back in the approx 2" gate on the RHS of the mechanism.

The cruise control is difficult to work. The controls are on the turn signal lever and I've already signaled once trying to set the speed. With the other buttons on the wheel, why not put the cruise control buttons there too, or take a note from the Japanese car makers and put the cruise control on a small switch that I can reach from the wheel and not turn on some other item such as the turn signals.

There is already what appears to be some paint flaking, but I don't know if this is the result of rental car abuse or build quality.

I have another 1100 miles with this ride, so I'll let you know how it goes, get some photos, etc.

I'm planning on buying a G8GT next year, on paper the car is awesome. I hope to test drive one soon.

java, keep us posted. The G8 is one of the more interesting cars that came out of GM in the recent past.

I like the V8 manual version (GXP), at least on paper, and the G8GT has gotten a lot of good reviews in the press. I'm just afraid this car will be too big for me. I value cars that feel light on their feet, and at close to 4000 lbs, I don't think the G8 qualifies. Even my current car feels too heavy at times...

As for the cruise control button placement, my old A4 also used to have it on the turn signal stalk. It's a matter of getting used to I guess... I never found it to be a problem.

I've arrived in Cleveland. Made one fuel stop West side of Indy at exit 66 on I-70 after stopping at a Cracker Barrel for lunch and a book on tape for the ride.

I put 11.07 gallons in the car @ $3.839/gallon and 297 since I had reset the trip odometer, for an approximate fuel economy of 26.8 MPG. I set the cruise control at about 100km/hr or 62MPH for those who refuse the metric system. This seems consistent with the computer than was displaying about 27MPG at the time, so accounting for a few miles I drove before I reset the trip odometer.

Unless I don't know how to find it, there seems to be a lack of dual trip odometers one sees on most digital odometers I've encountered. It may be there, but without a manual, I've not found it yet. Having a dual trip odometer is useful for measuring trip mileage as well as distance/tank of fuel.

There is a cool feature where you can choose from English or Metric gauges. This also impacts the analog speedo as the MPH light goes out and the km/h light goes on and the needle moves to the appropriate number for your selected units.

So the speedo can display either 180 kh/h or 180 MPH.

I still haven't gotten used to the cruise control. The control, while on the turn signal stalk like my '87 Buick doesn't operate the same way. One has to rotate a knob on the stalk and I've turned on the signal a few times setting it. I'd prefer buttons on the wheel like my old Chevy Berettas. That makes it easier for a tap up or tap down of the speed.

I'm near the Cleveland airport right now and the odometer on the car reads 2355 miles. I've traveled 614.6 miles since I picked it up, averaged 55.6 MPH including probably 25 miles of around town driving give or take and the computer indicates an average fuel economy of 28.7 MPG so far.

This cars is pretty stiffly sprung, but isn't so harsh that it beats you up. Indiana has some rough patches on I70, but it was not tiring.

I feel pretty well rested after driving from STL to Cleveland in a days time. The miles passed by comfortably at 62MPH, sipping fuel and listening to my book on tape.

Check engine light came on driving to class this AM, will give more news when I get a chance to visit an Autozone or other store.

I did, it seemed like it was on, but it was cross threaded. I stopped by an AutoZone to verify that was the code and then cleared the code.

Actually, I pushed the On*Star button first to see if they would tell me. It wasn't an emergency so I wasn't going to press the On*Star "Red Cross" and just let it go.

Why don't they just add a menu option to display the code on the display. There are plenty of displays, why not add that as a menu option.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Although I'm not sure what the settable overspeed alarm is for, and I don't advise you setting it until you know how to turn it off, LOL.

It's been a feature of locally built cars for years as the Highway Patrol are vigilant in enforcing the speed limit and radar detectors are illegal.

So I told her it was the new Pontiac, made in Australia. The first thing she says is can't we make those here?

Good question.

this sort of comment always makes me smile, as people from most all countries expect to be able to export goods and services to the rest of the world unimpeded, yet get funny when something is imported.....

It seems to be a universal thing.

Last edited:
I get to the counter and the lady says we've got you in a G8, whatever that is. So I told her it was the new Pontiac, made in Australia. The first thing she says is can't we make those here?

Good question.

Maybe GM is not expecting to sell too many of them here, so they didn't think that retooling a US factory and starting a new assembly line would make financial sense, especially that another factory was already cranking them out. If sales pick up, they may reconsider.

...Why don't they just add a menu option to display the code on the display...

Apparently the display has a function called "Engineering Mode", accessed by holding the enter button while turning the key on. The following information is available:

Battery Voltage
Battery Charge (%)
Remaining Fuel (gal)
Instant Fuel (gal/hr)
Coolant Temp
Speed
Tach
Tire Pressure
Engine Oil Life (%)
Parking Lights (on/off)
Switch Voltage
Current Gear
Active Fuel Management
Throttle Position
Trans Sump Temp

Pretty cool
thumbsup2.gif

This would have been neat to know before I turned the car in yesterday!

However, it may help someone else, so thanks.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
...Why don't they just add a menu option to display the code on the display...

Apparently the display has a function called "Engineering Mode", accessed by holding the enter button while turning the key on. The following information is available:

Battery Voltage
Battery Charge (%)
Remaining Fuel (gal)
Instant Fuel (gal/hr)
Coolant Temp
Speed
Tach
Tire Pressure
Engine Oil Life (%)
Parking Lights (on/off)
Switch Voltage
Current Gear
Active Fuel Management
Throttle Position
Trans Sump Temp

Pretty cool
thumbsup2.gif

My impressions were more favorable than unfavorable. This car provided comfortable highway cruising. One could drive hours in this car, and with the seemingly huge fuel tank, one's bladder will likely give out before the fuel will on the highway.

Around town, economy really suffers. I was never able to return to a trip average seen on the trip out to Cleveland. I believe the computer indicated 27.6 MPG when I dropped off the car with Avis.

The folks there wanted it back. Seems the employees can rent it for $20/day according to the shuttle bus driver, and she was trying to work a deal so she could have this ride over the holiday weekend.

I never got accustomed to the cruise control. It works when you set it and it holds the speed. However, the controls, while they do work, are not the most convenient way this can be done. I turned off the cruise control several times trying to set the speed.

The moonroof is a cool feature. It has a "fire and forget" switch, where you simply dial up the desired opening and it will open the roof that far. This works for both sliding back as well as the tilt function.

The trunk is cavernous. Under the hood seems well layed out. However, I didn't look to see how easy it was to change the oil.

Sorry, no pics.

It was a pretty decent highway car. The V6 is still coarse under acceleration, but nearly silent in highway operation once up to speed. Shifts were smooth in the normal drive mode. I didn't really play with the sport shifter or the manumatic mode to report.

The 5 speed auto seems to be a pretty good little box. However, my luck with such transmissions fuels my desire for a real manual transmission.

On my Saab 93 the cruise control is on the turn signal lever. There's a slide switch you slide to the right to turn it on (an indicator lights up in the cluster) or resume the set speed. It then springs back to a center position. You slide it to the left to turn it off, which is where it stays (it doesn't spring back to the right).

To set the speed there are two buttons on the end of the stalk. It's not really so much two buttons as it is a slide switch. Pushing up increases the set speed, pushing down decreases it.

Is this how the cruise control in the G8 works?

My only issue with the cruise control in the Saab 93 is that the volume buttons for the stereo are in the steering wheel in the same exact place Ford put the cruise control switches. So once or twice I've increased the volume instead of increasing the speed of the car. Haven't done that in a while.

The button on the end of the stalk turns the CC on and off. There is a ring on the button that you rotate to set/decel or resume/accel.

You have to grab it like you were manipulating a bottle cap or you will activate the turn signal.

I guess I have some muscle memory from my 87 LeSabre where you pressed that button in to set the cruise control. So I kept turning it off when I was trying to set it.

Hopefully, you can get an idea about it here:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=6666&idg=1&idi=11

You can see the raised ring used to decel/set and accel/resume the speed. The button to turn it on is not visible in this pic.

I'm complaining more about this than the stereo buttons on my 2002 Sienna because I can just ignore the "behind the wheel" buttons for that and use the knobs I can readily reach.

There is no alternate controls for setting the cruise control.

My old Pontiac Grand Am had CC on the turn signal stalk. During the 3 years of ownership, I used the CC 2 or 3 times. It's a very bizarre idea to have the cruise control in that location.

I have to say I like the Saab's CC controls better. I have no problem figuring them out the first time I drove the car.

Now what I couldn't figure out on the Saab is why the high beams wouldn't stay on. It turns out that I had the headlight switch on the "off" position, so it was in DRL mode. Now DRL mode on that car is identical to low beam mode; parking and marker lights are all on and the low beam headlights are on at 100% brightness. The only difference is what happens when you pull the stalk fully towards you. In DRL mode the high beams flash and do not stay on. If the headlight switch is "on" then the high beams stay on. If you want to flash with the headlight switch "on" then you pull the stalk halfway.

So now I just leave the headlight switch in the "ON" position. The headlights turn off when I turn off the car.

I can get the DRLs turned off (if I can convince the dealer to do it) and then the headlight switch will actually turn the headlights off instead of modifying the function of the flash-to-pass/highbeam switch. Still debating about whether I should or just leave it as it is.

I finally got around to doing my expense report, so here is the final MPG and cost figures for fuel:

Final tally, including 4 days of around town driving:

1279 total miles
46.443 gallons of fuel

Avg MPG = 27.54

Total spent $179

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back