2008 Mustang V6 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Amsoil previously, but I am looking to use something I can pickup at the store without issue. I've used Castrol import in the wife's Mazda and can't decide between Castrol or MaxLife. The car is at 135,000 and is driven mostly highway/stop and go traffic on the return from work. I haven't noticed any transmission issues as of yet.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
MERCON V Is the spec and yes they are a pain to service. My concern was that many of the fluids I see specify LV and not V and a quick google search tells me not to mix them. Some people have private messaged Valvoline and we're told it would be okay, but why isn't it listed on the bottle? Just looking for feedback from those that have had success Yes Amsoil ATF

Last edited:
I use NAPA Merc V. I'm assuming you have the special fitting to fill through the drain plug, because if not you'll need that. You can find them on eBay, etc. I think my 2010 GT took about 5 quarts with a new filter.

Maxlife should work fine, used it in several rangers and other ford vehicles that called for Mercon-V
If worried then supertech Mercon-V will work also.

I'm in the same boat with my 2001 Lincoln. And in all the research I did I didn't see anything that suggested moving down from a Mercon V medium viscosity of 7.5 cSt @100 C to a LV (Dex 6) at 5.8 cSt was a great idea. Most regular Mercon V's are semi-synthetic and will shear down over a 20,000-30,000 mile OCI to about an LV spec. But there are full synthetic Merc V's that will stay up at 6.8-7.2 during their lives. Mobil 1 ATF and the Amsoil or Redline syn ATF's are of the correct viscosities and will not shear down much. MaxLIfe ATF is a great fluid....but it's not medium viscosity. Until I see a ton of evidence that the Merc V vehicles ran 150K-200K miles on "only" Max LIfe fluid, I'm not convinced it's a correct substitute.

Despite all that I use the Super Tech Mercon V (semi-syn) and have used Amalie Mercon V as well. The only ones that I know have the Ford Merc V approval are Super Tech and Castrol Merc V. I change out my ATF every 15K-25K miles based on color/appearance.

Whatever your Mercon V fluid is, change it every 20k-30k miles and you shouldn't have a problem. If you go to a Quick Lube place be aware they might put in the older Mercon/Dex 3. They've done that to me. So now I just change my own fluid 2-1/2 to 3 yrs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back