2008 Mazda 3 Sport 2.3, Castrol Syntec 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sampled using one of the labs Wix uses in Portland Oregon (ALS tribology). First ever UOA on this vehicle. Nothing appears abnormal here to me. It was run for almost exactly 6 months, which is the reason for the low mileage. It is worth noting that the oil run was a 10 year old API SM/CF oil that I had in my stock. Date code on one of the bottles read M082916A31SH. I recall purchasing it at Costco during a Mobil One supply problem. Costco normally sells Mobil, but switched to Castrol Syntec for a short period of time during that event. Once Mobil supplies were back, Costco cleared out their remaining Castrol supply for $9.99/case. I purchased multiple cases. The last of that supply is now in the Mazda.

DATE SAMPLED 20-May-18
DATE RECEIVED 24-May-18
DATE REPORTED 25-May-18

TIME ON UNIT 77230
TIME ON OIL 2502

Castrol Syntec ENG Oil SAE 5W30

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 4
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 2
Tin (Sn) 2
Aluminium (Al) 2
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 3
Sodium (Na) 2
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 13
Calcium (Ca) 2603
Barium (Ba) 1
Phosphorus (P) 611
Zinc (Zn) 695
Molybdenum (Mo) 88
Boron (B) 38
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.0
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 6.4

Last edited:
Any reason to change at 6m onths 2500 miles? I know 6 months can appear to be some uncrossable milestone - it IS in my Warranteed Nissan
smile.gif
- but here I could see 1 year 5K ... No hay problema!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Any reason to change at 6m onths 2500 miles? I know 6 months can appear to be some uncrossable milestone - it IS in my Warranteed Nissan
smile.gif

I agree with you. Especially after getting the UOA report. I simply like to stick with Mazda's recommendations for normal service (7.5K/6M). I enjoy changing the oil, and have many filters stocked up to use. My other vehicles only call for changes once per year, so I have to keep myself busy somehow
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

Same thought......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back