2008 Chevrolet Malibu's Oil Life Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I ran a search and found nothing, so here we go.

I changed the oil in my fiance's 2008 Malibu last summer with Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30. It hit 15% on the OLM about a month ago and I changed it with Amsoil XL 5w-30. The OLM has already dropped to 78% with the same driving. I'm not as well versed as some people on here, so I'm wondering if I need to dump the Amsoil and put high mileage stuff back in. It has 114K on the odometer.

I wouldn't have thought that "better" oil would go this quick.

Thanks.

welcome2.gif

You didn't mention any mileages driven in your description; those would be helpful, as would her driving habits.

I think that year was a simple counter...so I'd leave the Amsoil in - especially since XL is formulated to go 1 year/12000 miles. If you prefer to go with the OLM, then when it gets to 15% again, take a sample and have it analyzed - then you will KNOW the oil's condition in relation to the OLM's indication.

Different oils last different mileages/durations.

The Oil Life Monitor doesn't know what type of oil is in the sump, it doesn't measure the oil. It does track the engine temps, RPMs, etc. to estimate how quickly the oil is "used up". I don't know if the OLM on 2008 took time into consideration. My 2005 Colorado didn't. My 2016 GMC will reach 0% at 1 year even if it's never driven.

I would just leave the Amsoil in there for 8-10K regardless of the OLM.

49.gif

Your OLM is based on a number of factors, but what oil you have in there isn't one of them. I had an 05 Maxx, IIRC it was set for conventional. The guy who invented (or was on the team) the OLM was on here for a month or two until some of the Amsoil guys made him mad. That was the first couple of years of the forum. Maybe you could find his description of the OLM--it was pretty sophisticated. Anyway, I'd just run it back down to 15% again, since it's Amsoil you could take it down to 0%. I remember "the inventor" stating that the counter was quite conservative and could be run all the way down, even with dino with no real danger. I sort of miss the 3.5 engine in my car. No direct injection, no turbo, but it ran fine.

The OLM doesn't know you have Amsoil in it
smirk2.gif

Did you get a new job or something? Has there been a heat wave where you are?

Originally Posted by ttamian83
Heat wave, yes. It's been stupid hot down here.

I appreciate the advice. I'll keep the Amsoil in there.

Ambient temperature is one of the factors the OLM takes into account

If I recall correctly, 2008 GMs were still calling for conventional oil and the
OLM was set up for that type oil. And it was, as stated above, conservative
on top of that.
Clean the PCV valve and you're good for a long time.
And yes, with synthetic oil, run it down to close to 0%.
High mileage oil is only needed if it uses oil or leaks.

My 2¢

If the car has been to a dealership in the last 3 years, the OLM has probably been programed to not exceed 7,500 miles no matter the driving conditions. GM updated the ECU programing recently.

OLM are useless IMO, just change regularly depending on your driving habits + oil selection. Amsoil XL is just another fake mostly or all group III refined crude oil, so save your $$$ and buy off the shelf "synthetics" at wally world! as noted more info would help, engine + its health , miles local + highway etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
OLM are useless IMO, just change regularly depending on your driving habits + oil selection. Amsoil XL is just another fake mostly or all group III refined crude oil, so save your $$$ and buy off the shelf "synthetics" at wally world! as noted more info would help, engine + its health , miles local + highway etc.

Be careful saying that around here. lol

All kidding aside. I proved to myself mine was useless by getting a UOA, I'm happy I never followed it. I guess some systems are better than others. If I were to follow it I would confirm the accuracy of the system with the oil I planned on using, and a UOA or two to confirm.

Originally Posted by benjy

Dude, always with the Anti-Amsoil
smirk2.gif
give it a rest already....especially since OP already has it in

I do agree with you that many OLMs aren't accurate....for example and according to the above posts, OP's is designed with dino in mind, and may have been set for a max of 7500 miles...so that will be WAY short of just about any synthetic's capability.

A while back I did a quick and dirty poll on the OLM's for the 2014 onward Chev 1500's with LS engines. Most most folks were reporting running down to 0 at 7,000 miles as compared with 10,000 miles with the pre-2014 models. Definitely Chevy was trying to reduce the number of the miles allowed on the oil used with the new LS engines with the revised AFM systems.

Originally Posted by JLTD
welcome2.gif

You didn't mention any mileages driven in your description; those would be helpful, as would her driving habits.

I think that year was a simple counter...so I'd leave the Amsoil in - especially since XL is formulated to go 1 year/12000 miles. If you prefer to go with the OLM, then when it gets to 15% again, take a sample and have it analyzed - then you will KNOW the oil's condition in relation to the OLM's indication.

It's not a simple calculator it's a iOLM it's calibrated for API SM oil conventional oil. A 10K OCI should be easy to remember.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JLTD
welcome2.gif

It's not a simple calculator it's a iOLM it's calibrated for API SM oil conventional oil. A 10K OCI should be easy to remember.

Ah ok....me thinking it was 11 years back so simple...thanks...got a reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back