2007 Nissan X-Terra 4WD

A pal found the title vehicle on Craig. I went to see it.
I can't find the ad. Sorry.
Navy blue/grey cloth CLEAN. 115K Engine sounded great, P-R-D-R all smooth and clank free.
Shifts incredibly smoothly. Similar smoothness into/out of 2WH-4WH-4WL.
I did like the "4WLOW" message continually flashing.
Needs tires and an AC charge. There was a bit of brake travel but she stopped well and quietly.
Smooth at speed. Minimal rust beneath. Matched wheels with no rash.
Two small patches of peeled paint and some black finish gone from the roof-racks.
I told him to come on down and to bring cash.

Anyone ever own one of these?
What ATF fluid did Nissan use in '07 ?

I have a soft spot for these vehicles, but I abhor the previous gen VG33E because of its nightmare intake design.

The radiator on this vintage had a nasty recall for the transmission cooler mixing with coolant.

The 4low blinking could be a sensor, shift fork issue, or brake fluid, or speed sensor. that would not deter me from similar interest.

Take off alot because it needs alot, but it would be worth it to me.

Great suv, we have a 2002. Search Xterra SMOD, a problem from 2005-2010. Check the coolant and be be certain the transmission feels 100% correct. I don't know how you tell if the radiator has been changed out. If you can't confirm a new rad and you buy it drive it home and either bypass the in-rad trans cooler with an external cooler or replace the radiator. Don't wait it can fail at any time. When I was on the xterra forums guys would come on say even 5 years ago and say they bought a 2005-10 X and the trans started acting up. Too late the only fix is a new trans it's trash. The 4.0 fixed what was wrong the the first Gen, the gutless 3.3L.

The folks above are dead on regarding taking action to prevent SMOD. I replaced the radiator in my first Frontier, it’s a painless job in an afternoon.

I believe that year would have spec’d Nissan Matic J ATF. At some point they switched to Matic S and it should be backward compatible. That said, I’ve run Maxlife in my Frontiers with no issue. It’s a common choice on the forums as well.

+1 on swapping the radiator or bypassing until you can. Some just bypass and never touch it again, like me...I picked up an 05' Xterra 4wd with close to 200k. Runs really good. Also check the rear axle seals for dampness. I would also do the rear diff breather mod by relocating it behind the tail light. My vent was not clogged thankfully. I would also replace all 3 camshaft and crank shaft position sensors.

Was given one as a loaner back in 2003 when my Altima spent 19 days on a lift. Really enjoyed the drive. Softly sprung but still nimble. That truck gave me a soft spot for Xterra. Almost didn't want to give it back.

Back