2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure, Castrol GTX 20w-50

This is the fourth sample and I try to get one done every 20k miles or so. Thoughts?

blackstone bmw.jpg

Great report.. looks like the trend is a reduction in Zinc which has reduced your wear metals by a small fraction. I would like to see a Mobil 15w50 as a comparison next but jeez what you are doing seems to be perfect.

Great UOA, where are the wear metals, lol? A nice 5,000 mile run, not the short change interval many bikes get. Small reduction in zinc compared to the previous run, however would consider that normal variation in testing and not terribly significant. With that said, a nice increase percentage-wise in boron, which I feel does a good job at anti-wear duties relative to what some folks say. From what I understand it is better than zinc and makes up for lower zinc with not nearly as much boron in terms of ppm to do the same work. My thought is the increase in boron would be more telling in reduced wear numbers relative to the decrease in zinc. In and of itself, help me understand how lower zinc if everything else is equal, would decrease wear?

Great UOA, where are the wear metals, lol? A nice 5,000 mile run, not the short change interval many bikes get. Small reduction in zinc compared to the previous run, however would consider that normal variation in testing and not terribly significant. With that said, a nice increase percentage-wise in boron, which I feel does a good job at anti-wear duties relative to what some folks say. From what I understand it is better than zinc and makes up for lower zinc with not nearly as much boron in terms of ppm to do the same work. My thought is the increase in boron would be more telling in reduced wear numbers relative to the decrease in zinc. In and of itself, help me understand how lower zinc if everything else is equal, would decrease wear?

Thanks for that. I'm not really good at deciphering the numbers and pretty much rely on the comments from Blackstone.

Yes, you can count the PPM wear numbers for each main metal component on your hand and still have at least two fingers left with respect to the latest UOA. And for 5,000 miles. Those are the most consistently low wear numbers spanning almost 57,000 miles I have ever seen. Granted, you haven’t sampled at each change, however it goes without saying they would have been low each time if you had, based on the testing you have done.

I'm not really good at deciphering the numbers and pretty much rely on the comments from Blackstone.

I understand. It’s too bad when someone has to rely on B-SLabs’ commentary, though. You might as well use the horoscope for the day from your favorite newspaper or website. LOL

Wow, great report, again.
Whats not to like? Certainly no reason on earth to try a different oil ... but sometimes we "wander" *L*

As far as "wander" I have held that Castrol 20/50 in my hands more then a few times at the store but stuck with my favorite oil for my 14 Road King which is a diesel oil, decades ago, it was the ONLY oil I used in my automobiles.
I just did wander for the first time ever and picked up a 15/50 Mobil 1for the RK ... and for the heck of it will most likely send it to Blackstone when I am done with it. I dont know when that is yet ... depends if I get a run to the Smoky Mountains in two weeks, will be a last minute call depending on weather.

Im curious, how is the 1200 holding up?
80,000 miles is a pretty good run for a bike.
If and its a VERY big if, I ever bought another bike, it would be between a new Road King (because I love it so much) OR a BMW 12 or 1600.
Wife loves the RK for comfort but I like to try new things and love the idea of a BMW in the garage.
(my son actually works for them, automobiles but that wouldn't help me)

I understand. It’s too bad when someone has to rely on B-SLabs’ commentary, though. You might as well use the horoscope for the day from your favorite newspaper or website. LOL
I get it. Major changes or a deviation from average would make me look into it. But Boron. Really?

Wow, great report, again.
Whats not to like? Certainly no reason on earth to try a different oil ... but sometimes we "wander" *L*

As far as "wander" I have held that Castrol 20/50 in my hands more then a few times at the store but stuck with my favorite oil for my 14 Road King which is a diesel oil, decades ago, it was the ONLY oil I used in my automobiles.
I just did wander for the first time ever and picked up a 15/50 Mobil 1for the RK ... and for the heck of it will most likely send it to Blackstone when I am done with it. I dont know when that is yet ... depends if I get a run to the Smoky Mountains in two weeks, will be a last minute call depending on weather.

Im curious, how is the 1200 holding up?
80,000 miles is a pretty good run for a bike.
If and its a VERY big if, I ever bought another bike, it would be between a new Road King (because I love it so much) OR a BMW 12 or 1600.
Wife loves the RK for comfort but I like to try new things and love the idea of a BMW in the garage.
(my son actually works for them, automobiles but that wouldn't help me)

I have put 100k miles on several 4 wheeled vehicles but never on a bike. I hope to accomplish that with this one and most of the miles on this bike are commuter miles to work and back. The wife and I retired on July 1 and moved to our Vermont cabin full time and I have been averaging 5-6000 miles a year but I don't know what it will be going forward with the shorter riding season in New England.

The boxer engine is definitely the crown jewel of this bike. I have had issues with the final drive and replaced the drive shaft as is common with these bikes but the engine has been stellar. I do all of my own maintenance with the help of a really good BMW motorcycle online community.

Here is a pic from this morning after a short ride. It really needs a bath ( and a new back tire).
1596654758781.png

Last edited:
Boron is a great anti-wear additive. Like I mentioned in a post above, boron is a “heavy lifter” in the sense a little bit goes a long ways compared to the the amount of zinc it would take to do the same work. From the earlier UOA’s, looks like they swapped more boron for less moly. I like the good boron content of the M1 MC specific oils, and more oils for all types of vehicles are using higher boron content.

I have put 100k miles on several 4 wheeled vehicles but never on a bike. I hope to accomplish that with this one and most of the miles on this bike are commuter miles to work and back. The wife and I retired on July 1 and moved to our Vermont cabin full time and I have been averaging 5-6000 miles a year but I don't know what it will be going forward with the shorter riding season in New England.

The boxer engine is definitely the crown jewel of this bike. I have had issues with the final drive and replaced the drive shaft as is common with these bikes but the engine has been stellar. I do all of my own maintenance with the help of a really good BMW motorcycle online community.

Here is a pic from this morning after a short ride. It really needs a bath ( and a new back tire).
View attachment 26342
Bike looks great, yes, love the idea of the BMW engine, you are a true rider commuting to work when you can, Vermont can get kind of chilly, *L* I like the heat, born, raised and spent most my life on Long Island, NY, never owned a bike there but feel my riding would be limited because I like the heat/warmth, I know I am the odd one out on this, then again, on Long Island, not much to ride too without crossing over the bridges in the city to escape to the upstate.
Im sure you have that bike set up exactly as you want it, I like the "utility" look, when Im in the Smoky mountains there are MANY riders from Canada and Nova Scotia there as well, all on bikes that look like and set up like yours/various brands, again, true riders coming down all this way for the ride. The bikes are real workhorses. Im a little surprised at the low wear numbers of the engine, always thought BMWs ran higher but guess not.

I seems like the GTX is doing pretty good.
From what I have gathered, its having a decent amount of primary ZDDP and a touch of moly that will help with the high temp AW areas (such as piston rings and liners.) Usually the secondary ZDDP helps with lower temperature AW areas. There are esterified Boron additives that can help act as an EP and AW additive, but it would be hard to distinguish it from other boron additives in a VOA/UOA that aren't designed to be EP/AW, but merely present to assist (cap) strong ashless dispersant additives.

If you are able, I highly recommend RawHyde Adventure courses and trips. Learned you can do WAY more than you'd imagine with a 1200gs on one of those trips. I rented the basic oil cooled DOHC 1200gs on that trip with my father (2015), and that was the trip that convinced him to get the water boxer 1200.

So far I've used two sets of Shinko 705s and I've liked them; they have been a great value for a road tire in the ADV world. I've found they like to slide/wash (front and rear) offroad, as well as not biting offroad much. Some people have had minor delamination issues (it was either the radial or bias ply, I can't remember)
How have you liked them?

So far I've used two sets of Shinko 705s and I've liked them; they have been a great value for a road tire in the ADV world. I've found they like to slide/wash (front and rear) offroad, as well as not biting offroad much. Some people have had minor delamination issues (it was either the radial or bias ply, I can't remember)
How have you liked them?

Thanks for the info. I have been running Continental Trail Attacks for years which despite the name is a road oriented tire. I am switching to the 705s for economy and a little more aggressive tread since the back roads of Vermont are much sloppier than anything I ever encountered in Florida. I should add that this is primarily a road bike for me and I love it for the ergos since I'm 6-5.

I used the 705s on a KLR years ago and I liked them but that was a much smaller bike so we shall see.

Last edited:
Bike looks great, yes, love the idea of the BMW engine, you are a true rider commuting to work when you can, Vermont can get kind of chilly, *L* I like the heat, born, raised and spent most my life on Long Island, NY, never owned a bike there but feel my riding would be limited because I like the heat/warmth, I know I am the odd one out on this, then again, on Long Island, not much to ride too without crossing over the bridges in the city to escape to the upstate.
Im sure you have that bike set up exactly as you want it, I like the "utility" look, when Im in the Smoky mountains there are MANY riders from Canada and Nova Scotia there as well, all on bikes that look like and set up like yours/various brands, again, true riders coming down all this way for the ride. The bikes are real workhorses. Im a little surprised at the low wear numbers of the engine, always thought BMWs ran higher but guess not.

Lol. My former co-workers were mostly Harley guys and they called the cases on the GS my "file cabinets"! The solo seat with backrest is my commuter setup and I also have a Corbin seat for when my wife rides along. It's been a great bike as I mentioned and I also have a 1977 R75/7 that I have finally started working on now that I have a little time on my hands.

When the time comes to replace the GS I don't think that I will be looking at getting another one. Been there, done that. I'll probably get something like the Honda NC750X which is lighter and more economical not just in mileage but maintenance and repairs as well. The old joke that BMW stands for "bring more wallet" isn't so funny sometimes.

^^^ ahhh ^^^ yeah, thanks for reminding me about maintenance/repairs.
I do love the idea of the BMW, thing is, severe lack of dealers here, Im not sure there are any left and if there is one, I would be at the mercy of that one.
Another thing if I remember a motorcycle magazine long term road test was that the rear tire needs replacing every 7000 miles or so. (if it was even that long)
At least with the Harley I can go to any number of repair shops/ HD dealers for repairs of which, so far in 6 years I have not needed any, I HATE saying that! I know it will happen sooner or later. Rear tire easy to go 14,000 miles before thinking about replacing it, some push it further, since I do a fair amount of riding in rain, I dont push it, I like lots of tread on the tire..

^^^ ahhh ^^^ yeah, thanks for reminding me about maintenance/repairs.
I do love the idea of the BMW, thing is, severe lack of dealers here, Im not sure there are any left and if there is one, I would be at the mercy of that one.
Another thing if I remember a motorcycle magazine long term road test was that the rear tire needs replacing every 7000 miles or so. (if it was even that long)
At least with the Harley I can go to any number of repair shops/ HD dealers for repairs of which, so far in 6 years I have not needed any, I HATE saying that! I know it will happen sooner or later. Rear tire easy to go 14,000 miles before thinking about replacing it, some push it further, since I do a fair amount of riding in rain, I dont push it, I like lots of tread on the tire..

Many things in life are a compromise. I hear you on the number of Harley dealers versus BMW dealers and that is an issue if you happen to live in a remote area. In spite of the BMWs irritating need for special tools and fluids, there is one area that my BMW beats my Harley hands down...

Rear tire changes. My GS has a one sided swing arm that once on the center stand allows me to mount and balance a new back tire in half an hour while my Ultra is a four hour ordeal.
image0-2.jpeg

tire change 007.jpg

^^ wow ... that is awesome, actually amazing. Yeah, its got a heads up on the HD in that department for sure. I have the dealer do mine but at over 27,000 miles I only needed 1 new tire for the rear so far, though I am getting very close to having it replaced soon, depends on how much more riding I get in this year.
Planning on the Smoky Mountains next week, still not sure, will be last minute depending on weather. I dont mind the rain BUT if its going to rain the majority of the time, then forget it. Been a weird year, well, that is an understatement. In the last decade I never had to cancel a trip there because of weather, but I just dont know this year, looks kind of funky, will see.
When I am up there, I actually like to stop in a HD dealer at Pigeon Forge to have the tire replaced, IF it can be done on the spot, its actually where I bought the bike new in 2014, traded in my Yamaha and rode home, in the rain no less on the new Road King .... also for the fun of it ... I would like to ride over to their dealer in Maryville, I just saw an interesting RK M8 for sale with 5000 miles on it. Though, think its too soon, would still have a hard time trusting that new M8 engine, majority of people are fine with it but there are a few with endless issues it seems, at least in the HDforums.

Last edited:
Funny but I tend to get tired of stuff over time, still dont know what I would replace the RK with. Sure there are bikes I would love to have and try out, at the same time, there is my significant other (wife) who loves riding with me and loves the RK. Its not only that but limited service for some other brands in my area and my desire to keep things simple on a bike (not too many electronics, I have enough in my life) keep me with this bike.
Only thing I can think of is a newer one but ... ahhh ... priorities and the question of would it be better?
Some may have a couple bikes, that maybe the answer for them but wouldn't work for me.
(nice truck, the Tacoma)

Back