2005 Corvette harmonic balancer wobbling 70,000 miles

Anyone have any input on a harmonic balancer going out on a 2005 Corvette? The car has 70,000 miles and it's sounds like a frequent problem. It seems to me GM should have figured it out long ago how to make a decent product. Are the aftermarket balancers any better and to they have problems with the pickups too and other cars too with the LS engines? I am having a mechanic fix it since it's way over my abilities with the tools I have and no lift.

I had a TSB replacement done on my 2011 caprice with 6.0 at just 18k miles and I believe that it applied to the entire run of cars up to '17. So yes it continues on to this day. I would check your vin# and make sure they don't have one for you, they do not expire like a warranty does. On my car it was very visible to the eye while idling and I have no idea if the replacement is the same exact part or what? Has been on running for another 20k miles at this point and I do check it once in a while so far nothing

I had a TSB replacement done on my 2011 caprice with 6.0 at just 18k miles and I believe that it applied to the entire run of cars up to '17. So yes it continues on to this day. I would check your vin# and make sure they don't have one for you, they do not expire like a warranty does. On my car it was very visible to the eye while idling and I have no idea if the replacement is the same exact part or what? Has been on running for another 20k miles at this point and I do check it once in a while so far nothing

There is no TSB on this and Corvette's have had this problem from 2005 to 2013 and GM fails to acknowledge the problem after the warranty is run out.

Anyone have any input on a harmonic balancer going out on a 2005 Corvette? The car has 70,000 miles and it's sounds like a frequent problem. It seems to me GM should have figured it out long ago how to make a decent product. Are the aftermarket balancers any better and to they have problems with the pickups too and other cars too with the LS engines? I am having a mechanic fix it since it's way over my abilities with the tools I have and no lift.

Somewhat common for the rubber insulator to slip out on other makes too. I had it happen on my Ford.

A guy I work with just bought an '06 Corvette with 50k and he had to replace the harmonic balancer within a week of buying it.

Haha this thread reminds me of the two harmonic balancers I had to replace because of pure stupidity. Not only did I make the mistake of using a puller on the outside of the pulley once (which all it does is separate the two halves), I did it again a few years later and ruined another. At least it was only a $60 mistake each time, I've done worse!

A guy I work with just bought an '06 Corvette with 50k and he had to replace the harmonic balancer within a week of buying it.

Haha this thread reminds me of the two harmonic balancers I had to replace because of pure stupidity. Not only did I make the mistake of using a puller on the outside of the pulley once (which all it does is separate the two halves), I did it again a few years later and ruined another. At least it was only a $60 mistake each time, I've done worse!
It can happen to anyone.
Don't ask me how I know...

Loosening of the harmonic balancer was a widely known issue, especially with early 2005 cars. The balancer was a press fit on a tapered snout of the crank evidently and many early cars shed theirs with badness ensuing. GM initially came out with a magic "diamond encrusted washer" to try to keep the bolt from loosening but not sure that really fixed the problem. I have an early 05 (VIN about 5000) and so far no issues after 15 years and about 20k miles

There is no TSB on this and Corvette's have had this problem from 2005 to 2013 and GM fails to acknowledge the problem after the warranty is run out.

There is a TSB for the Balancer slipping on the crank snout causing low Alternator output.......Installing a new balancer, friction washer, & crank bolt was the fix. Hopefully no damage was done to the crankshaft or timing gear.

The rubber failing, Allowing the outer hub to rotate & drift back & forth is a separate mode of failure. Happens on bolt action Camaro's & Corvette's more often than other LSx cars.

The ATI Super Damper is a good product & if funds allow.....Buy one. I still like to use the GM friction washer for non-supercharged applications.

Thanks clinebarger. I am just going to let the shop decide which balancer to use since it should be completed today. I don’t think I will drive this car more than 30,000 miles before I buy a newer one. The GM balancer should last that long I hope.

Back