2004 Toyota 4.0 V6 13300 Miles Motomaster Syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was suppose to be changed at OCI of 7k miles. Through some confusion, it was unintentionally run much longer. This sample shows 6,700 miles, but in reality:
-13,287 miles on this oil
-Run for 2.5 years
-Much of it was in extremely cold conditions (-20 to -30)
-Many short trips of less than 2 miles where the engine never even got warm
-Probably 30+ hours of idling
-Approx 5k miles of highway

The first UOA at 101k miles on the engine showed nice results. These results show it was run far too long, although considering the conditions, this UOA makes sense and I suppose the oil performed relatively ok.

The oil is Motomaster Formula 1 Full Synthetic 5w30, which is rebadged Shell synthetic according to the MSDS. Filter was a Toyota house brand.

LOTS of idle time, short tripped and TBN pretty much done...makes sense the iron would be higher....might want to get back to 10k interval to compare.

In the spirit of commenting with seat of the pants analysis to justify any and all OCI and type, I feel obliged to mention for what it's worth (which is nothing) that it "Ran Fine". In fact, it runs exactly identical with fresh full synthetic to how it did with the over used oil.

Yeah, the mileage probably doesn't tell the true story. The harsh cold and extensive idling give more of a clue. While the oil was likely shot, it's impressive how the flashpoint and viscosity held up. I see only half a quart of make up - was the level down at the time of the oil change? Good post.

The half quart was added approximately 2/3 through the OCI, around 8k miles. I didn't check the level at the time of the change, but a few tanks of fuel earlier (maybe 1000 miles prior) it was still full. It also looked fairly clean, probably something around the colour of dark maple syrup.

I have several rare earth magnets placed on the drain plug and on the filter. They're strong enough to require pliers to remove from a flat surface. They may have collected some iron and masked the true amount of metal in the oil.

Once a year and/or max 10k is my normal OCI. Even if I'm a little low on the mileage, given the cold temps effect on contaminating the oil and the fact that there's only a few months a year when changing it is possible with the weather, I'll normally make sure it gets done.

Is this the 1GR-FE V6?

If so, my father's vehicle equipped with this engine did an equivalently long OCI over about 18 months. Except in his case, there was 3000 miles of maximum-load towing, and the rest was a 30min highway commute and weekend drives - in temperatures of the Australian Wet & Dry seasons, so always 80ºF and above. Oil was Synpower 5w-40; the stuff with BMW approval.

Would've been interesting to compare the two types of extremes, had I bothered with a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back