2003 Ranger Radiator Replacement: Which Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have to replace the radiator in my 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0L V-6 - it made it 235k before starting to leak, pretty good run. According to the Motorcraft coolant chart (Google it), I should be using: Y = Yellow-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (Motorcraft® Gold Antifreeze/Coolant)

Probably 30-50k into ownership, first 2.5 years maybe I owned it, I got a coolant service and they put green in at the Ford stealership, never noticed it until many miles later. Next service at 100k or more they put green in again. While I've had the leak, I've been filling for a long while now with Prestone Cor-Guard 50/50 pre-mix.

So my question is: What the heck at this point should I run? I'm willing to, before putting the new radiator in, drain all the Prestone out, run distilled water through it, drain that and put in 50/50 Motorcraft Gold so it's in the block and heads (it's of course Winter here in Chicago area, so freezing temps can't leave the water in there), then do the radiator replacement and fill with Motorcraft Gold.

But, at this point, is Motorcraft Gold the best coolant I can run, or is there better stuff on the market?

Thanks for any help and/or opinions here!

Chuck

Last edited:
Motorcraft Yellow/Gold, Zerex G05, or Peak Global Lifetime

The good news is that Ford still sells the OE Motorcraft Radiator for your Ranger at a fair price and US-made
smile.gif

whichever you plan on doing I would mix it stronger then 50/50 when you refill it, because if you run water through it to flush it out you won't get all of that water back out of it so if you put 50/50 in it the water that is still remaining in the block etc will weaken the strength of the coolant.

when refilling it I would maybe go a half a gallon of full strength coolant and 50/50 mix to fill it the rest of the way up.

In 2008 I changed the yellow garbage out of my 2005 Ranger with SuperTech Universal (I guess green). Been using that coolant since. No leaks, no parts replacements and running fine.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Zerex G-05 or Motorcraft Gold
This, whichever costs less. It's what the vehicle specs, it's readily available and relatively inexpensive. However, go with the 'full strength' G-05 and distilled water. That way after you do the distilled flush you mention, then you can fill with G-05 to half cooling system capacity and top with distilled. That would give you protection to ~-34F. I wouldn't think you would need more than that. Eazy Peazy.

While I agree with 'some' of the other AF options listed too, using G-05 keeps it simple and vehicle spec.

G-05 IS MC Premium Gold! If you ask your local Ford dealer, they may make you a deal on the PG, that's where most of mine comes from. Using in the Ram, GMC, & Mercury Grand Marquis in my sig.

Peak Global Lifetime is what I use in my 2003.
It meets the specification and is frequently on sale for a good price at Menards.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Bunch or recommendations for these...what it is about this Peak Global Lifetime, or this new 10x that maybe replaces it?, that would make it better than the Motorcraft? (if Zerex G05 is same as the Motorcraft, I get 15% off FordParts.com dealer pricing with my dads retiree discount...mine as well get that if I get G05 based unless the Peak G05 is somehow better than the Motorcraft)

The good news is that Ford still sells the OE Motorcraft Radiator for your Ranger at a fair price and US-made
smile.gif

I traded some questions with Summit Racing (they have a large amount of options) a while back looking for radiators. When I was looking, all they had were $500 Motorcraft (not happening on an '03 Ranger that has a body starting to rust out) and some lower cost others. Turns out the only one made in North America was the Spectra Premium, made in Canada, for $116 to the door. There are now a couple Motorcraft options on their site for like $250, but I know Motorcraft has cheep Chinese parts in it's line now. No idea if these are them or not, but, the deed has been done and the Spectra will arrive later this week.

Noted folks on using concentrate after the distilled flush...

Thank you All for the replies and help!

Originally Posted by chucky2

Bunch or recommendations for these...what it is about this Peak Global Lifetime, or this new 10x that maybe replaces it?, that would make it better than the Motorcraft? (if Zerex G05 is same as the Motorcraft, I get 15% off FordParts.com dealer pricing with my dads retiree discount...mine as well get that if I get G05 based unless the Peak G05 is somehow better than the Motorcraft)

smile.gif

I traded some questions with Summit Racing (they have a large amount of options) a while back looking for radiators. When I was looking, all they had were $500 Motorcraft (not happening on an '03 Ranger that has a body starting to rust out) and some lower cost others. Turns out the only one made in North America was the Spectra Premium, made in Canada, for $116 to the door. There are now a couple Motorcraft options on their site for like $250, but I know Motorcraft has cheep Chinese parts in it's line now. No idea if these are them or not, but, the deed has been done and the Spectra will arrive later this week.

Noted folks on using concentrate after the distilled flush...

Thank you All for the replies and help!

The Peak Global Lifetime is actually fairly similar to G05 and often available at a good price. The PGL is the closest thing to a truly universal coolant, and the 10x might be even better in that regard. The only widely-available coolant labeled as universal that doesn't have 2-EHA

If the Spectra really is from Canada, then that would be a great choice
08.gif

The Peak Global Lifetime is actually fairly similar to G05 and often available at a good price. The PGL is the closest thing to a truly universal coolant, and the 10x might be even better in that regard. The only widely-available coolant labeled as universal that doesn't have 2-EHA

If the Spectra really is from Canada, then that would be a great choice
08.gif

So Peak Global Lifetime isn't really any better or worse than G05, it's simply compatible with other coolants, ie. 'Global'?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chucky2
So Peak Global Lifetime isn't really any better or worse than G05, it's simply compatible with other coolants, ie. 'Global'?

Correct
thumbsup2.gif

If you have a John Deere dealer nearby, Coolgard II is the way to go. Can mix with G05 and I think just about everything else, and usually reasonably priced too.

Rangers are not picky. Don't mix incompatible fluids and it will be fine.

Also, the Canadian Spectra radiator in my 02 Ranger is somewhere around 6 years old now and doing fine. Chinese Spectra in my 94 Ranger is also fine at around 4-5 years old, and I've got a Chinese Spectra in my Explorer too, but it's only a year old. Never had a problem with Spectra at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
In 2008 I changed the yellow garbage out of my 2005 Ranger with SuperTech Universal (I guess green). Been using that coolant since. No leaks, no parts replacements and running fine.

I would take the yellow anyday over the old style universal green. Been running G-05 in my 2003, no problems either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back