2003 Diamante, SHU 5W40 + 1/2 can MoS2, 7.8k mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I had a UOA done on my 165,000m Mitsubishi Diamante.
7,7xx miles on this oil which was Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and a half can of Liquimoly MoS2.

My last UOA on this car (same oil, no MoS2 though):
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4900608/2003-diamante-shu-5w40-6817m-oci

The car is used on short to medium trips most of the time.
I towed a heavy load for about 1,000miles in this OCI (roughly 3,500lb load).

1. There is much more nitration, oxidation and sulphation this time around - Could this be the MoS2 additive?
2. Wear metals went down slightly though this oil has about 1,000 miles more than the last UOA, though tin is up.
3. My fuel dilution is high (I believe that is percentage) even though this sample was taken after towing for 150 miles straight. Could this be from blowby?
4. Some numbers (soot, TBN) look like they weren't tested? Though other items not tested have N/A next to them.

Comments greatly appreciated!

Code

Lead 41

Iron 11

Aluminum 5

Copper 7

Chromium 0

Tin 4

Nickel 0

Silicon 31

Sodium 5

Magnesium 21

Zinc 112

Molybdenum 262

Calcium 2624

Phosphorus 858

Boron 64

TBN 0

Soot 0

Glycol 0

Water 0

Fuel Dilution 5 (% or ppm???)

Oxidation 23

Nitration 41

Sulphation 29

TAN 0

f.debrus (mg fe/l) 1

Viscosity @100 C 0

Viscosity @40 C 88

I'm far from an expert but Lead and Silicon stand out to me. I'd be checking the air filter assembly for sure, and the plumbing associated with it for unfiltered air entering the engine.

Not sure what the answer is for #4 regarding if they did the testing or not, I'd confirm with the lab. Fuel Dilution? Not sure. Subscribed for the expert analysis.

Wear has not benefited from the MoS2, either something wiped the zinc out or its a mistake. If this car see the track go with a heavier oil 20w50?

Something's screwy here to me..is this Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 you're using rated API SN???

- where'd the zinc go?
- where'd the Mag go?
- 2600+ppm Cal doesn't jive with VOA's I've seen on Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. (1200/900ppm cal/mag respectively)
- where'd the boron go? (recent voa shows +200ppm boron)
- it's interesting that your previous run of Shell Helix 5w40 showed a TBN of 10.3 after a nearly 7k mile run.. that's a full point above the virgin TBN of 9.3. So the reserve alkalinity went UP after a 7k mile run, how's that?🤔

VOA Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 - 9/2019
(either this voa is off or your uoa is)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Wear has not benefited from the MoS2, either something wiped the zinc out or its a mistake. If this car see the track go with a heavier oil 20w50?

This is the daily driver which tows the track car for about 1,000 miles per OCI.
Most trips are relatively short (within 10 miles).
It takes the occasional longer trip (100+ miles).

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Something's screwy here to me..is this Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 you're using rated API SN???

- where'd the zinc go?
- where'd the Mag go?
- 2600+ppm Cal doesn't jive with VOA's I've seen on Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. (1200/900ppm cal/mag respectively)
- where'd the boron go? (recent voa shows +200ppm boron)
- it's interesting that your previous run of Shell Helix 5w40 showed a TBN of 10.3 after a nearly 7k mile run.. that's a full point above the virgin TBN of 9.3. So the reserve alkalinity went UP after a 7k mile run, how's that?🤔

VOA Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 - 9/2019
(either this voa is off or your uoa is)

This is a 2017 bottle of SHU I used, in Australia. Not sure of this is different to other areas?
I too questioned some of the results though (specifically TBN and fuel dilution) but cannot confirm in any way.
When I took the sample though the oil did not smell like petrol, and it was after a long 150 mile trip of towing a heavy load.

I will be changing oils and using something thicker too.
Likely the local Penrite oil, 15W50 as it is currently on special and pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm far from an expert but Lead and Silicon stand out to me. I'd be checking the air filter assembly for sure, and the plumbing associated with it for unfiltered air entering the engine.

+1

Can the company retest your sample? Some will hang on to the samples for a while just in case a retest is requested. As for the TBN you will have to verify if those tests are included. Some companies charge extra for TBN/TAN.

Originally Posted by Spetz

This is a 2017 bottle of SHU I used, in Australia. Not sure of this is different to other areas?
I too questioned some of the results though (specifically TBN and fuel dilution) but cannot confirm in any way.
When I took the sample though the oil did not smell like petrol, and it was after a long 150 mile trip of towing a heavy load.

I will be changing oils and using something thicker too.
Likely the local Penrite oil, 15W50 as it is currently on special and pretty cheap.

With all the highway driving you're doing I wouldn't expect a lot of fuel dilution, that is unless you have loose rings which case all bets are off.

Yeah dunno about the regional thing? The VOA I linked to is from Russia and it's even different than your UOA. It (the VOA) looks more like a API SN rated lube.

But I can't say that I've ever seen an oil analysis with zinc that low. I guess it's possible, it's not like I've seen every UOA ever done ...‚.. and you do have some relatively high wear metals, so maybe it depleted?🤔

Me personally.. I'd send off another sample of that oil to a different lab (if you still have some laying around) or ask it to be retested. While you're at it ask them if they have reference values for TBN on this lube... I'd be curious to how that stacks up to your prior UOA.

I have done a smoke test to find leaks past the air filter previously but everything seemed fine.
I have also purchased a new (and better quality) air filter in response to the high silicon ratings.
Yet that remains high (albeit lower than the 1st UOA).

I will be using a different oil and the next UOA I will be sending off to a different lab just in case.

As far as TBN, the previous UOA showed a fairly high TBN so 0 is surprising. Likely not tested or something (though it should have been included in the testing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back