2003 BMW E46 M3 Rotella 15w40

I have done lots of reading on here regarding the TWS recommended for the M3s and M5s. I just want some opinions on running Shell Rotella T4 15w40 in the S54. The car sees cold starts normally anywhere from 40-80 degree F weather. It is a day to day driver and it doesn't get pushed hard when oil temps are low, if ever. 6 speed manual. I am wanting to run a quality conventional oil in the car for a few OCIs. I have always liked this oil and I have lots of it on hand. I understand that not running 1060 in these cars is treason. I get that. Any educated opinions? Bear in mind this car has 200k miles on it, has had the rod bearings replaced and I have $4 grand in it. Thanks for the input.

Many have switch or are switching to LL01 0W-40 in the S54 and beyond. I think a dual-rated 15W-40 kept to a reasonable change interval would be more than adequate.

You should be fine for a reasonable interval. The 10/60 was more of a bandaid at the beginning until the figured out the rod bearing issue. The 10/60 shears down a bit as well, so the weights wont be far off.

My concerns are on the 15W - I would not advise using this heavy stuff. Problem is, that on start-up the engine needs fastest possible lubrication. The sucking nozzle in the oil sump drains out with the engine shut off. A 15W oil will take too much time to be sucked up and then spread throughout the engine. Those machines die on starting not on revving - why a 0W40 works perfectly well unless use is race-like with permanent revs above the 6000-mark and temps well above 270°F permanently. In this case a 5W50 is more adequate. Markus running his S54 on 5W40 Motul 300 V series with no issues at all

Originally Posted by TrueTriumph
My concerns are on the 15W - I would not advise using this heavy stuff. Problem is, that on start-up the engine needs fastest possible lubrication. The sucking nozzle in the oil sump drains out with the engine shut off. A 15W oil will take too much time to be sucked up and then spread throughout the engine. Those machines die on starting not on revving - why a 0W40 works perfectly well unless use is race-like with permanent revs above the 6000-mark and temps well above 270°F permanently. In this case a 5W50 is more adequate. Markus running his S54 on 5W40 Motul 300 V series with no issues at all
AT 40-60 degrees f he will not have issue with 15W. But I would agree that Motul would be better option, or Mobil1 5W50.

Originally Posted by edyvw
AT 40-60 degrees f he will not have issue with 15W. But I would agree that Motul would be better option, or Mobil1 5W50.
Yeah more of the rampant misunderstanding of what winter ratings mean.

Thanks guys. It has performed well thus far. About 300 miles in. I plan on using the Shell for 5 3k mile OCIs to help naturally clean the engine a bit. Temps and pressure seem great so far.