2002 Silverado Cabin Air filters 2 years

There should be a "Post your cabin air filters" topic and pinned in this section. I just changed mine on my 2002 Silverado. I just checked and these have been in there for 2 years and 26 days and have 17,699 miles on them. I try to change the cabin air filter out once a year but as usual I missed a year. The one picture is what fell out as I pulled the filters out.

cabin air filter.jpg

cabin air filter 3.jpg

cabin air filter 2.jpg

Last edited:
Yuck!

What did you replace it with?

Purolator offers their Boss cabin filter, which is the same as Mann Frecious Plus. It has a charcoal layer to stop the odors and another layer to stop mold
smile.gif

I pulled one out of a 2005 Sienna recently that I believe was the original filter. Completely full and almost all of the pleats were torn enough to fit your hand through. There was also a sizable mouse nest in the area just above the filter... I'm guessing they used some of the torn media to make the nest.
lol.gif

Yup, the 02 Sierra I have been driving for the past 17 years has cabin filters too! Never let them get that bad, but since all manner of garbage can find its way through the cowling and into the filter, it's not a shock that there are leaves in there. The 03 Suburban I recently purchased DOES NOT have cabin filters, not sure if it was a delete for the model year or for this particular vehicle. I really wish it had cabin filters though, especially for the secondary rear HVAC system that pulls air from the rear compartment

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Yup, the 02 Sierra I have been driving for the past 17 years has cabin filters too! Never let them get that bad, but since all manner of garbage can find its way through the cowling and into the filter, it's not a shock that there are leaves in there. The 03 Suburban I recently purchased DOES NOT have cabin filters, not sure if it was a delete for the model year or for this particular vehicle. I really wish it had cabin filters though, especially for the secondary rear HVAC system that pulls air from the rear compartment

Does it have the space to install one?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yuck!

What did you replace it with?

Purolator offers their Boss cabin filter, which is the same as Mann Frecious Plus. It has a charcoal layer to stop the odors and another layer to stop mold
smile.gif

I just got the cheapest filters that I could find on Amazon. They are carbon filters can't remember the brand or number at the moment. I just need to be better at changing them. Especially with our serious yellow pollen in the spring time.

There should be a "Post your cabin air filters" topic and pinned in this section. I just changed mine on my 2002 Silverado. I just checked and these have been in there for 2 years and 26 days and have 17,699 miles on them. I try to change the cabin air filter out once a year but as usual I missed a year. The one picture is what fell out as I pulled the filters out.
Question for you OP. Where were your cabin filters located?

Makes me wonder where all that crud is going in my 2009 GMC Sierra....
You see, they stopped installing cabin air filters in GM trucks around the mid-late 2000s... however you can still open up under the glove box and see where the filter should be installed.. and you can pop open the plastic and voila, install a cabin air filter... so all that crud is just circulating into my cabin and into the AC circulation system? Unless 2007+ GM trucks drastically changed the way their AC functions..

Question for you OP. Where were your cabin filters located?

Makes me wonder where all that crud is going in my 2009 GMC Sierra....
You see, they stopped installing cabin air filters in GM trucks around the mid-late 2000s... however you can still open up under the glove box and see where the filter should be installed.. and you can pop open the plastic and voila, install a cabin air filter... so all that crud is just circulating into my cabin and into the AC circulation system? Unless 2007+ GM trucks drastically changed the way their AC functions..
On my 2002 they were installed up under the HVAC area to the left of the passenger side foot area. The filters are stacked one on top of the other vertically. You slide one up and then install the other under it. The newer trucks are now like you mentioned. Behind the glove box and they sit horizontally. The same on my 2014 Cruze and my daughters 2012 Cruze as well as our 2016 Suburban.

The 03 Suburban I recently purchased DOES NOT have cabin filters, not sure if it was a delete for the model year or for this particular vehicle. I really wish it had cabin filters though, especially for the secondary rear HVAC system that pulls air from the rear compartment
My 04 Silverado was not equipped with filters but you can add one fairly easy. All you need is the filter door and cut out the slot.

I didn't preview this but should be close.

Last edited:
Assuming my brain hasn't begun playing tricks on me: My friend's 1997 F-150 has a provision for adding a CAF.
I recall a recess in the bottom of the glove box which you cut out.
I also remember reading that there is a Ford kit with the other stuff you'd need.

I just pulled a two year old one out of my Silverado that didn't look quite that bad. You have to actually remove the glove box-use Torx drivers-one of the screws is a pain.

It will be another two years......

Reactions: JC1
Back