2002 bmw 530 diesel erroneously filled up with gasoline

Considering it had 30 liters in it and you added another 10 liters of diesel, that is about a 25:1 concentration of diesel to gasoline. The internet says it's a 70 liter tank. Fill it completely with diesel and keep it topped up so it never drops below 7/8ths of a tank and you will dilute the gasoline away over the course of the next few fills.

Do you want to know about the smoke or advice on how to deal with a miss fuel?

What does the smoke smell like?

Personally for what fuel costs I would drain the tank, blow out the injectors and high pressure pipes then see if it still smokes afterwards.

Good morning,

2002 bmw 530 diesel, central america, a fuel pump attendant filled the tank with 1.75 liter gasoline and 10 liter diesel instead of filling all with diesel. A blue smoke can be seen at idle by the tailpipe. Any advice for me

Cheers

Jorge
I'll bet it runs better!

Do you want to know about the smoke or advice on how to deal with a miss fuel?

What does the smoke smell like?

Personally for what fuel costs I would drain the tank, blow out the injectors and high pressure pipes then see if it still smokes afterwards.
I dont have a very good sense of smell.

I would like to know about the smoke.
We filled the tank up to dilute the gasoline inside. I would like advice on how to deal with missfuel.

Why would there be white smoke from unburned diesel?

White "smoke" from a diesel is simply a mist of fuel from the fuel injector, which failed to ignite in the cylinder so it was blown out through the tailpipe. You would likely notice the engine misfire as rough running.

More likely this smoke is just oily smoke from the ATF that was added.

If you don't want this to happen again, stop calling it the "gas tank." It's the fuel tank.

The low oil light also comes on when driving. The car is either burning or leaking oil. The other day there was a oil leak under the car. I wonder if the atf dislodged some sludge im the engine that caused oil leak.

White smoke can either be fuel or engine oil. Possible source of white oil smoke is from a failed turbo leaking oil into the exhaust.

The turbo functions fine, as when i have driven the car, the turbo boost can be felt.
That doesn’t mean it’s not leaking oil into the exhaust.

I think you need to get the car to a good mechanic as it sounds like it’s got a few engine issues that you don't have the knowledge to diagnose and fix.

I was gonna say a pint of 2 cycle oil might help.
TCW-3 two stroke oil does a great job adding lubricity to diesel fuels. I see that ATF was mentioned above. Our testing shows that ATF is the wrong choice and does not add significant real world lubricity, neither does Marvel Mystery Oil. Two Stroke oil does a far better job of adding lubricity.

I would consider two stroke oil at a 100 to 1 ratio. And just drive until the tank is near empty and fill with diesel.

It's not unusual for fuel blends to have incomplete combustion. Remember, the injection system will simply inject as much fuel as necessary to achieve a specific RPM. It's not like a gas powered engine that will misfire, you may or may not notice any differences.

TCW-3 two stroke oil does a great job adding lubricity to diesel fuels. I see that ATF was mentioned above. Our testing shows that ATF is the wrong choice and does not add significant real world lubricity, neither does Marvel Mystery Oil. Two Stroke oil does a far better job of adding lubricity.

I would consider two stroke oil at a 100 to 1 ratio. And just drive until the tank is near empty and fill with diesel.

It's not unusual for fuel blends to have incomplete combustion. Remember, the injection system will simply inject as much fuel as necessary to achieve a specific RPM. It's not like a gas powered engine that will misfire, you may or may not notice any differences.
Where can your testing results be read?

When I lived up north, when weather was COLD, the diesel guys would add one gallon of gasoline to ten gallons of diesel fuel. (To thin it out, I guess).
Does that make it a good practice? There are additives designed specifically for Diesel fuel that reduce gelling, aid lubrication, and which won't damage the engine and injectors.

Back