2000 Jimmy fuel guage sending unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where to access it and is this right, I looked it up at GM parts direct:
Fuel Tank Meter Sender/Connector
MODULE
$275.28
$275.28
$275.28
$0.00
$55.06
$330.34

Subtotal:
$330.34

Holy $%^* I guess she will have to make due with no guage. And people say european cars are expensive?! It was less than $60 for my car. (although that was not problem, I have to take dash out and fix some solder connections) At least my guage lasted 13 years.

[ January 15, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

Jason, I don't know much about GM's anymore, but here's my thoughts: I wonder if the sender is really bad, since it's a 2000 model. That sounds new to me to have a failure. You might try looking for the sender wire at the tank. Once you find the correct wire, you can unplug the connector and jumper it to the frame, while someone is watching the gauge with the key on. If the gauge goes to full (with the key on and wire grounded), then the sender is bad. If the gauge dosen't move, the trouble is elsewhere.

It could also be something as simple as a corroded/loose connection or ground at the tank.

I would venture to guess that you will have to drop the fuel tank to access the sending unit. Rather labor-intensive, but plenty of potential for savings (and the normal hazards associated with gasoline) if you DIY. Perhaps you could find a part from a junkyard?

quote:

Originally posted by segfault:
I would venture to guess that you will have to drop the fuel tank to access the sending unit.

That's what I was worried about. And that ain't happenin for a gas guage. Don't think I'll find much at a junkyard either anyway. GM PD list any before '99 with a different p/n.
That blows. What a stupid design. I changed the fuel pump literally in 5min on my car.

TheLoneRanger, thanks I will give that a try if I can access it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back