2000 Jeep Cherokee project car

As they say, "It ain't the Dexcool's fault".
Dexcool DOES NOT go into systems which are exposed to the atmosphere.
The reservoir's cap is merely a flap. It only keeps bugs out.....BIG bugs.

Here's my sister's '99 XJ with ~150K on it's odo. Jug dino OC specials of varying brands using 5K OCI's.
New VC gasket kit from Fel-Pro included 19 hard plastic things which served as sealers for the bolts. I was surprised they worked.
The rubber grommets were shrunken, embrittled and leaking so I broke the elbow (front) and PCV orifice (rear) to R&R them.
I also bought the PCV to intake manifold hard line for $8 as I thought I'd use that much in solvents to clean the old one.

New cap, rotor, wires and plugs. New hoses too.

When the parents of the college bound girl opened the hood at 171K they both gasped, "How clean the engine is!".

Also, clean your diffy-ques.

Unscrew the trannie drain and 1 gallon of Dex/Merc exits. She had the NP242 and it takes the same juice.

What are those bridges shared by each cylinder's intake and exhaust rocker arms?

View attachment 15736

View attachment 15737

View attachment 15738

View attachment 15739

I’ve never heard this before about Dexcool only going into systems not exposed to the atmosphere?? By this your meaning the normal setups with the old school coolant reservoir?? So it goes into the systems with no cap on radiator where you fill from the reservoir with the sealed lid?? Just did not know this.

Yes. The radiator may or may not have it's own cap. The reservoirs with a screw-down cap are what's NEEDED in Dex-Cool applications.
Call the reservoir a "header tank" if you want....just be certain the cap screws down.
Also, just make sure you don't mix other coolants with Dex-Cool as you may get a bad reaction (coagulation).

Some coolants mix just fine. Others have these bad reactions. So why bother memorizing which is compatible with what?
Just keep it simple....rinse out the old if changing to a different fluid and use distilled water if called for.

If I was doing a 4.0l Jeep I think I'd use whatever Mopar called for originally.
Also, given G-05's universality, I'd see if that was a good choice.
IIRC I used old fashioned "green" coolant in my sister's Jeep as it's what was in there.

Last edited:
One has to put up with reliability issues with a Jeep. Many people love their Jeeps however. I would not put a lot of effort into a RWD Jeep myself.
Very much so. My Jeep costs quite a bit to keep going. But it was my grandpa’s, I’ll keep it forever.

I'll be doing pics when I get the engine bay cleaned out. It's running very well for having sit for a whole year. I just put the vpbr in there when I did the emergency oil change to get it back on the road. I did that and put in a bit of atp 205(3oz) re seal to help with various other leaks around the engine. Hopefully it cleans the sludge up and the esters slow some leaks. I'll have some time to work on it since it won't be driven much over the next few weeks. It's a champ for having 190k original miles.

Back