2-year old oil 124 Spider

I just purchased a 2019 Fiat 124 Spyder that has a factory build date of 5/18 (early '19 model). I got the car with 33 miles on it, and have started to think about whether I should change the oil just based on the time it's been sitting in the car. What say you experts?

Thanks.

^ +2

It has had that new car abuse of sitting on the lot, getting jump started, idling for hours, short tripping around while they plow snow, etc.

But then weeks of sitting. Doubt you got "1000 miles" worth of abuse.

But how did those 33 miles get on the car? 3.4 miles at a time? I couldn't stand it.......I'd change that FF out >>>> of that engine.
crazy2.gif

That car doesn't need a oil change, that car needs a drive.

Take it out, let it warm up gently, then give it a bit of a run to get everything moving.

Yup; it's been getting its drives! So far, 150 more miles on it. I think I'll change the oil at around 1,000.

Will post pictures tomorrow. So far, it's great. Engine is pretty linear for a turbo, handling is direct and flat, and the car itself appears to be screwed together pretty well. Very pleased after three days...

Originally Posted by DAC17
Yup; it's been getting its drives! So far, 150 more miles on it. I think I'll change the oil at around 1,000.

Excellent

I bought a 2018 F150 3.5EB that had a year since the engine build date and had been driven through two dealer transfers (about 360 mi on the odometer).

I did just what you are suggesting. Drove it to 1000 mi and put in fresh Pennzoil Gold Dexos Blend. No particular reason other than it made the most sense of what I had in my stash.

Last edited:
Good luck with your new ride. For reference, my 1971 Fiat 124 Spider had a sticker of about $3,600 when I bought it new. I loved the way that car handled.

For me, I'd change your factory fill at 1,000 miles.

Thanks for all the comments. Bought it from a dealer who had it in their stock the entire time. Now up to 350 miles and will follow the 1000 mile advice.

Back