2-stroke oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by dblshock
I use WalMart ST TCW-3 in everything gasoline $13.99.

Not for air cooled stuff.

I ran that Supertech 2-stroke for years in my Lawn-Boy Duraforce without issue. Lawn-Boy specified to use an outboard oil if not using their own oil.
The last Lawn-Boy 2-stroke ran a 32:1 mix. My guess is that they wanted a cleaner ashless oil to be used and made up with it by running it at 32:1 vs 50:1 on a Suzuki
powered 2-stroke Toro as an example.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Why not get the Mystik?
Mystik is is excellent oil one I have used exclusively for years prior to the VPracing. It's a no brainer pick if it's only one available and usually a great price.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I've been afraid to run 100:1. I know people do. I was ding 40:1 but with the amsoil I have been running 50:1.

I have an expensive chainsaw, I just can't bring myself to try 100:1 in it.

I suggest that you don't.

I've posted on this many times and I'll keep it brief. I've tested 2 stroke oils in a previous job. Oil ratio does affect engine life, regardless of the type or brand of oil chosen. 32 to 1 is the ratio at which more oil does not markedly reduce wear. With the exception of ultra high HP Kart engines which really do need 20 to 1 or richer.

50 to 1 is just fine for most modern OPE 2 strokes.

"IF" you are going to use TCW-III oil in your 125cc motocross bike, mixing it at 20 to 1 will give a good result.

Some easy reading:

http://www.mototribology.com/articles/jaso-explained-part-2-2-stroke/

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Regarding two cycle air cooled power equipment ... JASO FD and ISO L-EGD. Seems that this is designed for air cooled stuff and to help not only run clean, but actually clean up previous deposits.

EGD and FD oil (they are exactly the same spec) are not specifically designed for air cooled engines. In fact, the spec is really one of various types of performance, and not of engine cooling design.

NOTE: The ultralight guys determined that the old Penzoil two stroke oil (no longer made I think) (I don't believe it was either a synthetic or met any specifications) gave the best results in testing AND real world use. Engines were both air cooled and liquid cooled.

Last edited:
Always use Penn or Valvoline 2 stroke TCW 3 oil in my lawn Boys and 2 stroke OPE at 30:1. Never have had a fouled plug or clogged exhaust. No worn out bearings or seals either. Guess I have just been lucky.

VP Racing is all that i have used in the past 2 years..has all the good specs. JASO FD and its cheap.

At Walmart its in the lawn and Garden Section.. its also at Tractor Supply Now.

[Linked Image from static.summitracing.com]

Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by Warstud
Why not get the Mystik?
Mystik is is excellent oil one I have used exclusively for years prior to the VPracing. It's a no brainer pick if it's only one available and usually a great price.

Mystik Sea & Snow-it's just as good as the racing 2 stroke oil, and is available (or at least was) at Menard's! I use it in Echo & Stihl chainsaws & my Hitachi 2-stroke blower at 32:1. I think it is actually rated higher than Stihl oil.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
Originally Posted by super20dan
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by dblshock
I use WalMart ST TCW-3 in everything gasoline $13.99.

Not for air cooled stuff.

that's a myth. been using twc3 for 30 years in my lawn biz with out a single failure oil related . I tried torco and the older stuff that specked 32/1 would run terrible on it. the very best 2 stroke oil was mobil1 2t. still have a few qts that I am saving for my stihl 4 mix engines that I don't run twc3 in

Not a myth, you need to do a little research.

I am going by 30+years of actual hands on experience in florida where its hot. that all the research I need pal. oh and by the way ;
lawn boy oil is twc3 and so is penzoil which the model air plane club recommends. suppose they and 0MC and TORO also need to do some research? if I was racing dirt bikes it would be a diff story

I'd sure like to see proof that some of these oils are "better" than others...

btw I use oil that costs $12.99 a GALLON on sale in all my OPE AND my 2 stroke toys. The oil works great for a 800cc twin cylinder engine getting fed with 10-11psi of boost at over 220hp. It also works great in my $79 cheapo weed wacker. Or my chainsaws, etc.

All my 2s toys get the engines completely torn down and inspected and measured clearances as regular maintenance.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Regarding two cycle air cooled power equipment ...

Some of the better specs I can find for two cycle lubes is the JASO FD and ISO L-EGD. Seems that this is designed for air cooled stuff and to help not only run clean, but actually clean up previous deposits.

It's common on some of the brand name products (Echo, Husky, etc; though I cannot find anything on Stihl's lube).

Just about the only source of that kind of lube from a non-OEM is the Mystic JT-4 Lawn and Garden.
https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/OUTDOOR_POWER/663091002

I'm looking to find competitive pricing options; does anyone know of any other aftermarket lubes that would also meet those specs?

Here is a current list of air cooled 2-cycle engine oils and their JASO classifications...
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf
Some of the FD listed oils are available on Amazon for good prices.
BTW, Stihl 2-cycle oil is listed as JASO FD.

Personally I like the Tru-Fuel premixed Ethanol free fuel because I don't use enough 2-cycle fuel in a year to justify mixing it. Were I to mix a gallon, some would be left at the end of a year.

I personally use Tanaka Perfect Mix in the 16oz bottle with built in measuring cup. The measuring cup has a 1/2 gallon graduation which is what I use. It is JASO FD/ISO EGD oil with stabilizer in it for up to 50:1 mixture ratios. They also sell it in gallons for a reasonable price if you use a lot of oil. I have been using it for 30 years and I sold it at my shop (and I sold a LOT of it).

Amsoil Sabre
Valvoline 2 stroke for air cooled engines
Champion 2 cycle

I have used all of these over the years. Champion I have used the most then Amsoil. All 3 are great

Motul 800 2T
- lowered exterior cylinder head temp on my Husky by about 10°F from Mobil 2T which in turn was about 30°F lower than any other oils I tried.
Stopped looking for anything else for any 2 stroke I have since looking at the pistons on my chainsaws after doing muffler porting. They look almost new with no discoloration or deposits.
I buy a gallon about once a year.

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.n...ine_Off_Road_TDS__28GB_29.pdf?1492017620

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Motul 800 2T

How does your chainsaw/trimmer muffler look inside? Is it clean...or full of oily residue?

btw: you also have 2 different versions of Motul 800...OFFroad and Road racing
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back