2 stroke injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a bit of time with search, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I recently picked up an old enduro bike that uses injection. When thumbing through the service manual I couldn't find Yamaha's recommendation for which oil to use. The Chilton's manual calls for Yamalube 2R, which I thought was for premix. Shouldn't Yamalube 2S (injection) be the oil to use, or is it because it is injected at the carburetor that the 2R (premix) works?

Being that I have a few other 2 strokes, the 2R would be my preference as the others are premix. I want to keep this one as original as possible so I plan on keeping the injection, so using a specific injection oil is fine if that is really what is best.

Ok, after more digging I found in the service manual it is calling for TC-W rated oil. I don't have any bottles available to check atm but am curious if this is an injector grade or premix grade. It does mention using 30w or 40w 2 stroke oil but that doesn't seem like the best option to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. After spending more time reading, I found this article http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484704#Post484704 and it got me to thinking that I probably should be looking for at least a jaso-fc oil. All my bikes are vintage, 1 is a big bore air cooled 490, 1 is a water cooled power valved 250 and the newest one is a oil injected air cooled 175. Considering the differences, I wasn't sure I really could find one 2 stroke oil to share amongst them all. Now I'm thinking an oil like Lucas Semi-Synthetic 2-cycle oil would be a good choice for all 3. I know their are other choices, but the low cost and wide availability has its appeal. It appears to meet jaso-fd and iso gd specs (from their website http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=17&iid=290&loc=show), viscosity appears to be about 7.5 and flash point approx 182f from the document http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/67_Semi_Syn_2_Cycle.pdf

From the expertise I've seen at this site, I have to ask the question is their anything that should concern me about this oil?

2T oil doesn't cost that much if you look at it is used at a 50:1 mix with gas. I posted several VOAs of 2T oils in the VOA section if you want to take a look. I personally would not run TC-W3 and would stick with FC/FD or TC rating. I currently running Red Line in my high rpm Aprilia bikes and Motul or Motorex in everything else. For your applications I would recommend Amsoil HP Injector and you can get it from any of the local dealer.

I agree that 2t is not overly expensive, but being that I'm in a rural area I still would prefer to find something that can be found locally vs. having it shipped. As far as 50:1, I know many trust it and wont knock it at all but as the manuals call for 20:1 I'm personally not comfortable exceeding 32:1. I have seen your voa's and the Maxima Injector is one I am interested in, but to be totally honest, I have very little understanding on how to read a voa/uoa.

I'm in total agreement that TC-W3 is NOT the way to go. The manual called for the BIA rating of TC-W, which I felt the article I referenced was pretty thorough on explaining and is why I thought the FC/FD rating was the way to go. So I believe we are aligned pretty well in our thinking. I am unfamiliar with Amsoil's HP Injector but will check it out. I do need to check if the local bike shop carries Amsoil because that is one brand I can't seem to find anywhere else. The Lucas product I referenced, is not a TC-W3 oil though. It is an Jaso-FC/FD, ISO GD, and exceeds TC rated product and it why I asked about it as I felt it at least carried the credentials for a potentially good oil.

Over 90% of AZ is rural or desert so just make a trip into town and get what you need once in a while. As of 1 March 2012, Lucas is not on the list of certified JASO FC/FD list. You are looking at Lucas' claims and not actual certification.

Thank you, that's the kind of info I'm interested in. I want nothing to do with any company that uses false marketing like that. Their oil may actually be able meet those standards but if they did not submit it then in fact they do not meet the standards. After reading your response, I was able to track down the list you were referring to and will take it with me when I get back into town to try and locate a suitable oil (keeping in mind I want 30w or lower viscosity for the injector). I would also like to point out that I couldn't find a single Amsoil on the list either. I read a lot of good about Amsoil too, but again I'm not gonna support a company that lists the standards on their products but are not actually certified.

It seems with all the reading I've been doing, I think I'd be safe with just about any certified jaso fc/fd or iso egd rated oil that is 30w or lighter as both a premix and injector oil. It would seem perhaps that viscosity is not relevant for a premix.

Just in case anyone is interested. I decided to go with Motul 510 2t, tech sheet. Without a doubt there are many other good choices. This one, I can get it local and right now Chapparal Racing has a great price on it too, it's a semi-synthetic that is around an SAE20 (SAE20 = 5.6 to 9.3mm2/s @ 100C) and not only claims to meet the jaso fd spec but is actually on the Jalos list. The Motul 710 is the fully synthetic version but seeing that they meet the same specs, I feel the semi-synthetic should provide ample protection for my needs.

Thanks for your input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back