2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.7/3.0 was notorious for oil pan leaks. The RTV has to be applied properly and they didn't do a good job. The 2.7 shouldn't have an EGR valve. EGR valves went away when they started using variable camshaft timing at least on gas engines.

Originally Posted by Gillsy
I had a 2016, and 2018 F150 with 2.7 Eco. I ran Castrol Magnatec in both. I think the blend is gone, and now it's a full synthetic.Everything I've owned seems to have a subtle improvement in low end torque. I believe this is due to the viscous properties of the oil, and the variable valve timing.

Interesting info on the perceived torque improvement. I drive a company car for the daily work commute, so my owned vehicle sits in garage a lot through the week. I've considered using a highly polar oil to increase likelihood of maintaining a film of oil to mitigate dry starts. Castrol seems to hang their hat on Magnatec's polarity i.e. their marketing terminology "intelligent molecules" preventing dry starts, etc. I'm going to look and see if the Magnatec synthetic 5W30 meets the Ford spec for the gen 2 ecoboost 2.7 in my truck.

Castrol Edge has intelligent molecules too. But the name of this Intelligent One escapes me. Is it's name Titanium?

Does Titanium have a superior to it? Is it Ravenol's Tungsten?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Castrol Edge has intelligent molecules too. But the name of this Intelligent One escapes me. Is it's name Titanium?

Are you thinking of MAGNATEC??

Magnatec is an additive in Castrol Magnatec? I've never seen it listed.

I thought you maybe meant the oil Magnatec, sorry bout that
smile.gif

You're good-to-go...... as always.
Looking forward to your bruised Camry 26K Fram TG pics.

So am I
smile.gif

I'm running Magnetec 5w30 in my 2018 2.3 eco. I would like the warm and fuzzies of a thicker oil but am waiting for api sp oils in a 0w40 for lspi and timing issues.
Wish castrol made a 10w40 Magentec her win the states.

No uoa but at 5-6k the oil comes out water thin and may have the strongest smell of fuel I have ever smelled on used oil.

You need to take that vehicle to the dealer, tell them there is fuel in the oil and show them this old TSB.

There was a problem with fuel in the oil in early Ecoboost engines and that might be the case here. Maybe the PCV valve was good and then went bad.

If something like fuel or coolant is contaminating the oil who knows what will happen to the engine. Take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Lets say it gets fixed then I would get some cheap Supertech 5W30. Drive for a few hundred miles on it then change it out...drive another few hundred miles and change it again replacing it with a thick 5W30 like Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L or Delvac 5W40. Usually when things get into the oil they often linger on in trace quantities so I would do my own "flush" to make sure its gone.

http://ecoboostforum.com/threads/ts...erfull-2011-2014-f150-ecoboost-3-5l.136/

Originally Posted by 3311
I'm running Magnetec 5w30 in my 2018 2.3 eco. I would like the warm and fuzzies of a thicker oil but am waiting for api sp oils in a 0w40 for lspi and timing issues.

No uoa but at 5-6k the oil comes out water thin and may have the strongest smell of fuel I have ever smelled on used oil.

Originally Posted by Navi
You need to take that vehicle to the dealer, tell them there is fuel in the oil and show them this old TSB.

There was a problem with fuel in the oil in early Ecoboost engines and that might be the case here. Maybe the PCV valve was good and then went bad.

If something like fuel or coolant is contaminating the oil who knows what will happen to the engine. Take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Lets say it gets fixed then I would get some cheap Supertech 5W30. Drive for a few hundred miles on it then change it out...drive another few hundred miles and change it again replacing it with a thick 5W30 like Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L or Delvac 5W40. Usually when things get into the oil they often linger on in trace quantities so I would do my own "flush" to make sure its gone.

http://ecoboostforum.com/threads/ts...erfull-2011-2014-f150-ecoboost-3-5l.136/

Originally Posted by 3311

I don't think applies to mine since it's a 2018. I will get a uoa next oil change and see.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back