1999 Camry 5/10w30 QS Advanced Engine 5432mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Camry with 2.2L and 108k on it. First UOA. This change had 70% 5w30 and 30% 10W30 QS Advanced Engine Full Synthetic with a Wix filter. Also had MoS2 added with oil. Mixed driving. Car leaks a little from rear main and burns a little on cold start ups but runs great. 1 quart of makeup oil throughout usage period.

Thoughts? How much longer could I have gone?

Code:
Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 5

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 5

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 6

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 14

Sodium (Na) 6

Potassium (K)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 26

Calcium (Ca) 2306

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 738

Zinc (Zn) 881

Molybdenum (Mo) 262

Boron (B)
Contaminants

Water (%)
Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.6

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 4.2

Wear metals are very low with high TBN after 5500 miles, you can extend OCI to 8-10k miles with similar synthetic oil with similar driving condition.

Considering you are topping off, its hard to get a better idea of the UOA. You could probably do 8-9k miles with the oil you are using considering you are topping off regularly. Ever thought of trying a synthetic HM oil? Might be worth considering, and may lessen the oil burn.

Last edited:
I have a LOT of this QS AE syn oil on hand when I cleaned out AZ a year or so ago. They had all QS Full Syn for $2 qt and a $10-$20 rebate per 5 qts. I have added ATP oil leak stop and it has slowed the leak over the last 10k miles, but the puff on startup is there until I can save up for valve seals it seems.

I do have 5 qts M1 HM I may try on the next change. May or may not help.

BTW, what does this indicate? Oil weight after usage?

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.6

Last edited:
So mos2 and almost non existent wear metals. Interesting.
Are there any universal averages for this vintage engine. I'd love to see what these engines usually expel vs yours.
I'd do what the lab tells you and extend the interval to what they recommend and have the oil tested to see if the interval can be extended further again.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So mos2 and almost non existent wear metals. Interesting.
Are there any universal averages for this vintage engine. I'd love to see what these engines usually expel vs yours.
I'd do what the lab tells you and extend the interval to what they recommend and have the oil tested to see if the interval can be extended further again.

Unfortunately, this is my only UOA on this car. The testing company I used was WIX and they did not include a recommendation in their results (I like Blackstone better, but the WIX was a gift). Soooo, I was leaning on the BITOG crew for recommendations.
wink.gif

In line with what the others have said, I would say 10K is possible, however since this is not a Blackstone UOA (who defines the oil as "used" with a 1.0 TBN), we (at least I) do not know what number WIX uses as a condemnation point. With that said, it certainly would seem that 8K minimum is possible.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
262 of molly? that website lists the moly content of being 58 i belive i saw. balckstone mis?

I added MoS2 to this fill. Also, this oil is older SM I believe. I will check when I get home from the holiday travels to see API rating.

Could the MoS2 have thickened up the oil?
I ask because IDK!

Try your next OCI w/o the moly and I agree, you may want to try a HM oil with dino or syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back