1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4 cylinder 5 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'm buying this jeep today. Dont really know the history of oil changes. It's not even had 3k put on it in over a year. It currently has 197k miles on it. Sounds awesome and in perfect shape inside and out. What weight oil should I put in this 4 cylinder? I was going to put in synthetic oil but I've read it may start leaking oil. Well it already has a small leak nothing major at all.

20200303_152344.jpg

20200303_152329.jpg

20200303_152253.jpg

20200303_152317.jpg

10w30 or 5w30 conventional will be just fine in that engine. It's basically the AMC 4.0L with 2 less cylinders. Very reliable and long-lived. Nice find!!

Thanks guys. 10-30 it is. I had no idea what weight these used. Been wanting a jeep forever and finally found a good deal.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Call me dumb lol but what's PYB?

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. AKA Conventional Pennzoil oil. Now all their bottles are yellow, but until a couple years ago the only yellow bottle Pennzoil had was the conventional oil. That is where PYB originated from.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Thanks guys. 10-30 it is. I had no idea what weight these used. Been wanting a jeep forever and finally found a good deal.

It's a good deal because it's a 4 cyl. They are great for Puttering around on trails. They are Absolutely miserable on the hwy. They can't keep up with traffic and are downright dangerous in that situation. I always had 18 wheelers trying to push me faster than my 4 cyl could go.

if u drive it like a regular car,city highway ex u can put just about everything it is a good engine but if plan to off road it a lot high rev it or rock crawl it go with a full well known brand syn.as mentioned here before the price difference is very small so why not go full syn.
i personally use syn always.better in everything.
dont forget to change the diff and trans fluids as well.
clean sheet on a newly owned car is the way to go.

I would run T5 10w30. This Jeep is high mileage and without knowing the service history a Diesel oil could clean things up a bit. A one gallon jug should run you about 14 bucks. With a 4 qt sump and a filter there should be a multitude of combinations to get a great 10w30 and filter for 20 bucks.

Good ol' 10w30 in that 2.5. They're great engines. Just as good as the 4.0.

I bet you paid a pretty penny for that nice specimen of a YJ!

Well I was by Walmart today and picked up regular Pennzoil 10-30 and a super tech filter. I was gonna get mopar but was $4 difference. Its leaking around the valve cover some. It actually looks like it has a little to much oil in it. I think the pcv valve also might be a little clogged. Gonna clean all that off and get new pcv valve and change the oil. Serpentine belt is cracked all to pieces also. It is really clean overall everywhere even under hood and underneath. The guy change the oil when he got it a year ago and they hardly ever drove it. Oil still looks new and so does the frame filter that's on it. Smells new to. I'm changing it anyway. Was almost 40 mile trip home on the hwy. It drove really good. I'm proud of it. I stole this thing for $4,500. I been looking for 2yrs for a awesome deal. I seen this on Facebook and just so happen it was a engineer at my work that had it. I guess I just lucked out.

I would use Valvoline Maxlife 10W30 (or even 10W40, or 15W40 if you can find it if you have low hot oil pressure, as the '98 4.0 in my sig does)-Maxlife will slow down the leaks until you can fix them, it stopped an RMS leak on my Jeep completely! It's a Jeep/AMC derived 2.5/4.0, it'll run on almost anything!

I've got a '96 Cherokee with close to 300K miles on it. Your engine couldn't care less what brand of oil you put in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back