1991 ktm 250mx 2 stroke wet clutch trans lube, what should I use?

I have the factory shop manual, parts book and owners manual and the one oil they forgot to specify was the most important, the trans/clutch lube! takes. 0.8L, what should I use?

What's the factory shop manual (and/or owner's manual) say to use?

did you read my post?

Maybe look for some other specification source. So both the factory service manual and the owner's manual don't specify? Maybe they think it should never be changed.

I was thinking tractor oil might be good because of wet brakes in tractors. I think some use atf type f, but thats not what is in there now. There was only a quantity specified, no type or viscosity

I've used M1 ATF in a great many 2 stroke transmissions with excellent results.

I even used the M1 ATF in my RZ350. It's a good choice, as it's viscosity is high enough and it's well suited for gears, roller bearings and wet clutches.

RZ.jpg
KTM.JPG

Last edited:
I use Motul 300V 4T 10w40 in my KTM 550 MXC trans. I use it in two of our shared-sump sportbikes (15w50 in the other two), and the transmissions and clutches work great in them. No problems in my KTM, and I've had it a long time.

According to the KTM owners manual the recommend viscosity is a 30 grade... so any 30 grade motorcycle oil will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

KTM250mx91.JPG

Most early British cycles, BSA, Triumph, Enfield, AJS, etc.... had wet clutches and
used motor oil for the transmission, primary chain and clutch.

My 2¢

I have the factory shop manual, parts book and owners manual and the one oil they forgot to specify was the most important, the trans/clutch lube! takes. 0.8L, what should I use?

I have always used this in all my dirt bikes and never had any issues.

Back