1987 Toyota Tercel recall (not really)

1704083033910.jpg

I had a friend in high school with a salvage title Tercel newer than that, the car was a complete piece of junk. We were at the mall hanging out in the parking lot and he comes screaming around the circle that went around the mall at WOT, the thing sounded terrible with belts squealing the whole nine yards. He drives into a huge pile of snow thinking he was going to drive right through it in a blaze of glory, well it was hard as a rock he might as well of hit a brick wall. Steam flying out the front of it, coolant everywhere...it was hilarious. The only thing that got hurt was the Tercel and no real loss there. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Pushed it back into a parking space and I drove him home in my neon. Good times.

Last edited:
I had a coworker that bought a new Tercel in 1980. I think that was the first year for US sales. It had the strange longitudinal mount engine FWD platform.

Bit like this, only newer.

My brother has a 95 and if he had a $1 for everyone that sent him that

My brother's Tercel was an '87, it died an untimely death when he let one of his friends borrow it, a rusty control arm snapped, and it took a sudden turn into a ditch... I had warned him he needed to replace them before-but the old 3E, despite seeping coolant out of the HG, still ran like a top!

The Tercel was the next rung up the ladder from the Toyota Starlet, which had been on my parent's short list of cars to consider back when they bought their Civic in 1983. I'm pretty sure they would have gone with the Starlet but apparently it had been discontinued! Dodged a bullet there, I am sure.

A Tercel would have seemed luxurious in comparison.

Back