1967 John Deere 6-404, Rotella Triple 15W-40, ~20 hrs/3yrs OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis done by Caterpillar SOS.

The '67 John Deere is a 644a Payloader. The UOA is bad... really bad. I'm not very surprised but there are a lot of things going on with that machine. Suffice to say I'll be resampling after this new sump full of oil gets a few hours on it to see where things stand. The oil I pulled was over 3 years old and the machine had sat unused for 2 of those years due to lack of time/need to replace the turbo. There is some running time with the failed/failing turbo. Since purchased we've only put on maybe 100 hours... and based on the fact that it needs ether to start anytime the block is below 90 degrees F we know that it needs a rebuild desperately. The most surprising and concerning part I saw was the fuel dilution. For an old-fashioned pencil injector engine that's a SERIOUS injector issue or the injector pump seal is failed. Oil is 2014/15 Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40. It was drained when sampled and refilled with NAPA Premium Heavy Duty Diesel. Filters are Deere Filters and they are not very good... OEM spec for this application is 20 micron @ 50% efficiency.

I've posted both this UOA and the one for my 2017 RAM Cummins in a separate thread. These are my first UOA experiences and I appreciate your feedback.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A lot of that Fe is just plain rust from sitting for 2 years. Given the problems it has had, these results aren't that bad - Fe is the only thing off the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back