17 Subaru Outback Hood Issues

17 OB and continue to have issues with the locking mechanism of the hood. Safety hook catches no problem but seems like the securing latch is not moving far enough over to catch and lock in the male post on the hood. I can feel it almost there but won't fully engage it and lock it. One of those frustrating issues to deal with. Better than a serious for sure but not quite sure how to deal with this one.

I can't see any obstruction(s) and the spring is aligned correctly.

Subaru hood latch.jpg

Close the hood and check all of the surrounding panel gaps to make sure they are even. If the gap at the rear is unusually large or small then the hood may be need to be adjusted fore and aft to get the lock mechanism to align properly. Before doing any hood adjustments.....make sure you take a marker and mark the current alignment of the hood hinge mounting bolt locations.

Close the hood and check all of the surrounding panel gaps to make sure they are even. If the gap at the rear is unusually large or small then the hood may be need to be adjusted fore and aft to get the lock mechanism to align properly. Before doing any hood adjustments.....make sure you take a marker and mark the current alignment of the hood hinge mounting bolt locations.
You might want to try some lubricant first. Might be that simple.

I started with some break cleaner and then lubed it. I have it closed but looking for a better solution. I check my oil about every 1k miles which is every 2 weeks from April to November. Same issue has cropped up a few times over the last 40k (has 112k on the clock now).

I had trouble with my Focus hood latch, basically I just looked to see how it was closing and bent stuff until it worked right.
I remember someone had a truck that the latches didn’t quite work right, and the warranty repair was the use of a hammer to bend things to be a bit more easily engaged.

Back