17 Golf overzealous OLM/Minder

Hi all

I've had a 17 Golf a little over a year now. I know that these vehicles have about a 10,000mi maint. interval. My oil light comes on at about 4700 miles between service. I don't see any obvious way to set this back to the standard interval. I don't think I'd go 10,000..but I'm using all the proper oil and filter so there really shouldn't be any reason why not.

Any experience on adjusting a VW OLM/Minder would be appreciated.

Sounds like a previous owner set it to his/her own preferred OCI mileage. i had a 2013 VW GTI and set mine to a shorter OCI.
It cannot be done without a proper cable and software. https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/.
A dealer is able to reset it for you at the proper OCI.
There are interesting things you can do with a VCDS cable. Try holding down on the unlock button on the keyfob and see if the windows open.
If so, the previous owner messed with the car. Very common with VW enthusiast.
Hyundai/Kia, which has copied things from VAG, copied a secret VCDS VAG code function for some of their vehicles. Few may know what I'm talking about.

After seeing skyactiv's post, I'm confused
crazy2.gif

Is this a true OLM like GM and Honda use? Or is just a mileage counter like Toyota?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif

Is this a true OLM like GM and Honda use? Or is just a mileage counter like Toyota?

It can be set either way, US cars are on a fixed interval other markets are set on flexible intervals.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif

It can be set either way, US cars are on a fixed interval other markets are set on flexible intervals.

True

Disappointing that it doesn't sound like there's a free way to go about it. Curious, is it going to mess up intervals for it asking me to do other things if I just reset it halfway through my OCI?

Or, maybe just change it 4.7-5k? I'm sure I would be dumping oil with plenty of life, though.

My windows don't do that - I wonder if a dealer changed the settings preferring their customer to come in twice as often?

Back