For those interested:
Sample mailed 12/15/17
Dropped of tracking 12/18/17
re appeared 12/31/17
Delivered 1/2/18
Sample posted 1/8/18

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
Is this 3.5 the dual port and direct injected version?

2017+ should all be the 12 injector, port and direct 3.5 EB Gen 2.

Looks great. Your wear metals should be cleaned out now. The next UOA should be very good.

I hope these 2nd Gen EB’s don’t beat up oil as badly as the 1st gen. Then again, Magnatec is magical unicorn juice for these motors. I can’t wait to get to that stuff in my stash.

Thanks for the UOA!

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Is this 3.5 the dual port and direct injected version?

Yes sir.
It even idles right.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Nice looking report, Magnatec continues to impress in EB 3.5 engines, what oil filter was used?

Motorcraft FL500s.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Looks like they are putting titanium in the Magnatec now too.

I didn't catch that. Thanks

Checked the older UOA's I have.
It looks like it started with the change to full syn.

My memory could be faulty here, but I don't think Magnatec 5W30 was a low calcium formulation as of a year or two ago...this must be the dexos1 Gen 2 version.

Break in wear still coming down.
Looks good; trending well.

Regardless of the intent (of which you and I may disagree) of the injection strategy, the end result is less fuel dilution overall. This and other UOAs on these "new" 2nd gen EBs shows the engines are receiving less raw fuel in the crankcase. Whereas I contend that the dilution has never been as horrific as some panic-stricken folks would claim, the reality of having less dilution can only be described as desirable.

Motor on!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Regardless of the intent (of which you and I may disagree) of the injection strategy, the end result is less fuel dilution overall. This and other UOAs on these "new" 2nd gen EBs shows the engines are receiving less raw fuel in the crankcase. Whereas I contend that the dilution has never been as horrific as some panic-stricken folks would claim, the reality of having less dilution can only be described as desirable.

Motor on!

I’ll suggest it is too early to make that declaration. All the EB motors with fuel dilution that I can remember seeing here on the forum were higher mileage engines. I’m approaching 30k miles and have yet to see any fuel dilution. We might still see dilution issues on this motor as they wear in more, say 50,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Onug

Motor on!

I’ll suggest it is too early to make that declaration. All the EB motors with fuel dilution that I can remember seeing here on the forum were higher mileage engines. I’m approaching 30k miles and have yet to see any fuel dilution. We might still see dilution issues on this motor as they wear in more, say 50,000 miles.

I've seen no evidence that accumulation of miles makes for higher dilution. I would disagree with your assessment.

However, and this is more important, regardless of the dilution, the wear rates don't change much ovearll. My point being; the topic of dilution is moot. With the 2nd gen EBs, it will be one less thing people can complain about.

Last edited:
I definitely agree there haven’t been any obvious wear issues attributed to fuel dilution. I’ve found that very interesting...

Motor on!

Agree,

We've seen multiple "high dilution UOA" and rarely if ever have i noticed elevated metals.

My brother has been running 9+k runs on his 12 3.5 F150 Platinum. Motor loves the Magnatec, the 10w30 and the 5w30 did extremely well.

I recognize that this is an old thread, but I'm curious to see if the new(er) Castrol GTX Magnatec full synthetic performs as well as the old Magnatec synthetic blend you were running. I have a healthy supply of PPPP that I picked up at an extreme discount, but this Magnatec looks to be a great option when my supply runs out.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by dnewton3

Motor on!

Agree,

We've seen multiple "high dilution UOA" and rarely if ever have i noticed elevated metals.

Disagree with fuel dilution and elevated wear metals. We should be looking at wear rates. I posted results of 500 BlackStone samples. For GDI engines in this large sample, I4 2.4L Ecotec engine, when fuel dilution exceeded 3%, wear rates increased significantly. Twice the wear rate of the same non-GDI engine. My own engine wear rate doubles and my viscosity drops by a full cSt in less than 1500 miles when exceeding 3%.

The second sample by the OP shows lower accumulated wear metals as expected. It should be much lower than that if they conducted a Full Volume OIl Change (FVOC). Anywhere from 10-20% of the old oil remains in the engine, along with wear metals, combustion by-products, sludge, etc after a typical drain and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back