168 inch pounds feels really--really tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM 3800 V6 Engine. I've had trouble with Wix filters leaking at the gasket before, so this time I decided to try the factory recommended torque spec which is 14 foot pounds. The torque wrench I used is a brand new Snap-on QJR117F inch pound torque wrench. I've used the same torque wrench previously to do the upper/lower intake manifold gaskets at 89 and 189 inch pounds respectively. No leaks from the replacement intake manifold gaskets. I will monitor the filter in the coming days, but 168 inch pounds feels really really tight. I kept hoping I would hear the click and I finally did.

Did you keep track of how far the filter turned with 14 ft-lbs once the gasket hit the mount?

Just put the filter on - you're not seeing the forest for the trees. finger tight, then torque with hand, and check for leaks.

I assume that is a 1/4" drive and shorter than the more common 3/8" or 1/2" drive. Always seems tight because of the short handle....... the moment arm.

Sleep well.

50 years of oil changes and never used a torque wrench here.

Last edited:
If the threads had residual oil on them, you most likely exceeded the torque spec which would explain it feeling tight.

I doubt this is of any concern, but technically....

Originally Posted by Reddy45
If the threads had residual oil on them, you most likely exceeded the torque spec which would explain it feeling tight.

I doubt this is of any concern, but technically....

It's still 14 ft-lbs when the torque wrench clicks, regardless if the threads are dry or lubed. Since it's an oil filter I'd think the torque spec assumes oily threads.

Originally Posted by user52165
I assume that is a 1/4" drive and shorter than the more common 3/8" or 1/2" drive. Always seems tight because of the short handle....... the moment arm.

Sleep well.

50 years of oil changes and never used a torque wrench here.

The overall length is 8-3/4'' to 9-1/2'' depending on the torque setting and where the thimble is turned to. Being at 168 inch pounds, the thimble was probably turned almost all the way in---making the wrench shorter. Torque range is 40 to 200 inch pounds.

If I had issues with a particular filter in the past, I wouldn't use it again. You may have a tough time come next filter change.

Last edited:
'Imo', it boils down to either you trust the OF torque spec listing and the torque wrench used, or you don't. Subjective feel should only enter into it for the latter case, then that makes the spec and torque wrench use moot. That said, even though Honda has an OF torque spec, I never use it. It's lube gasket, hand tight to 2/3-3/4 turn max, check for leaks. And I've used lots of (wix)/Napa Gold 5/7356, 5/1348 never a leak issue.

As an editorial aside, it's difficult for me to comprehend why one would continue to use a product that hasn't preformed to ones expectations often in the past. It's similar to reading another recent thread here purporting an OF leak of some sort, while simultaneously promoting purchase of the same product on another sub-forum. Puzzling. With the many OF brand purchase options, all I can assume is the benefits must far outweigh any issue or potential issue. Off my soap box.

Yeah I would expect it to feel tight, 168 inch pounds is around the upper limit on lots of torque wrenches that are 1/4 drive. Coupled with the short length of the tool it's going to feel really tight and you're going to have to muscle it.

Had you used a 3/8 it would have felt like nothing (and it was a good thing you didn't, you might not have felt a click at all at 14ftlbs). The feeling of tightness depends on the length of the torque wrench is all.

People use a torque wrench on oil filters?
27.gif

I just hand-tighten them

^^^ That's why I asked if the amount the filter turned was measured with 14 ft-lbs. I did similar on my Z06 once just to see how far the filter turned with the called out torque spec, and it was around 3/4 turn. So never used a torque wrench after that.

14 lb-ft may seem pretty tight but actually it's not that much. Even if the threads and the gasket are oiled... as long as it doesn't leak, you are good. And as long as your service intervals are reasonable, you shouldn't have trouble getting it off.

I believe the best explanation given thus far is the torque wrench used. I've never used a 1/4" drive torque wrench, always 3/8". Even one using inch/lbs. Recently torqued some spark plugs on a Honda to 13 ft/lbs, spec, and it required semi-moderate effort. Based off that, I can imagine 14 ft/lbs on a quarter inch drive wrench feeling like a lot of force, ie., feeling tight as described.

According to garage journal entry, 200 in/lbs is the upper limit of the wrench used. So as mentioned, 168 in/lbs would have been at the upper end of the wrench range.

Use a Denso filter and you won't have to worry about the correct torque. Turn it on till it hits the torque stop and forget it. Haven't had a failure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back