16 F150 3.5EB ~8K VPB 15W40

Changed this truck to Valvoline premium blue 15w40 because I got it cheap.
8000 miles, some towing, but the trailer it tows now is very light.

[Linked Image]

Agreed...looks like that's a better oil for your EB. Let me guess -- no driveability issues?

And since you're in Florida, you can use it year 'round.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'd take those results any day, even over the Castrol or Kendall you've been running. Looks good!

Yeah, I was a little surprised the iron went down to single digits. Not that I thought the iron was an issue at any point but I still find it interesting. The next UOA will also be on the Valvoline and it might become its regular oil if all looks good.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Agreed...looks like that's a better oil for your EB. Let me guess -- no driveability issues?

And since you're in Florida, you can use it year 'round.

No driveability issues with this truck.

Last edited:
So, in this application is there any drawbacks to running this oil forever? Keep in mind the OP is in Florida, moderate towing and reasonable OCI's.

Looks great! Long term I can only see catalyst issues from the additives in the HD oils, but totally worth whats gained IMO. For colder weather people thinking about switching, I think this comes in 10/30 also. If not Rotella does.

Last edited:
High oxidation is typically a sign of oil degradation and your oxidation is "high". But oxidation is one of those parameters you can't look at stand alone. It compliments TAN and viscosity. It would be nice to see what the TAN is to get better visibility into whether or not your oci's are too long. Do you know what the virgin 100c kv is?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I am also running 15w-40 in a '16 3.5EB. I had a partial pail of Delo 15w-40 in the shop for a while and I decided to use it up on the last oil change. I've got about 4,000 miles on it now and the only difference I have noticed is that the oil turned a very dark color in only a few thousand miles. Not sure if that is just the nature of this oil, or if it is doing some cleaning. I will hit the 7,000 mile mark sometime in November, and will switch back to 5w-30 for the winter.

My opinion is the major brand 15w-40 oils are probably some of the best oils on the market.

That's one great looking UOA. I've run Mobil Delvac 15w40 in the Santa Fe Turbo as well. Never had an issue with it.

I have a question: why does the latest fuel dilution say "estimated," whereas previous tests show "GC." Hopefully Polaris isn't dumbing this down to Blackstone methods.

Originally Posted by Impatient
I have a question: why does the latest fuel dilution say "estimated," whereas previous tests show "GC." Hopefully Polaris isn't dumbing this down to Blackstone methods.

I think they don't test for fuel unless the viscosity is down. I'm sure you can tell them to redo it but it doesn't bother me unless viscosity warrents it

Pointless. It's a port-injected naturally aspirated motor. 5w30 if you insist on going thicker, 5w40 at most. Don't follow the hivemind here at BITOG
What's the difference between 5w40 and 15w40 in Louisiana? But I generally agree 5w30 in the 3.7

Necro thread btw :) For those wondering this truck is still going strong with 138k on it. My dad uses it now.

Back