15w40 in my automatic trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all.

I have a former military vehicle that uses 15w40 in the Allison 1545 auto trans.

I'd like to drop the pan and do a filter change also change the inline cooling line filter.

What would be a good choice for replacing the fluid (6-7 qts) knowing that 15w40 formulations

and add packs have changed so much over the years. The trans was manufactured in 1994.

API CD - CF was probably used as the factory fill. No interest in going to ATF as I have been

told that in many cases it can cause significant issues.

Thanks to all.

Pics of truck.
[Linked Image]

Today's oil out perform oils from 1994. Lots of industrial transmissions use 15w-40 engine oils . I would chose an approved Ford diesel oil list as a starting point the link has 15W-40 oils toward the end page link to list

Originally Posted by Chris142
An automatics clutch packs are a lot like a wet clutch on a motorcycle. Shell Rotella is safe for wet clutches. That's what I would use.

Since rotella covers many types there are some that AREN'T safe for wet clutches.
such as rotella T5 15w40.

you might want to be more specific in your recommendation.

IIRC the "factory fill" from Allison was Mobil Delvac. Although the military would buy low bidder on whatever met MIL-L-2104D and you would find all kinds of unheard of producer names on the barrels.

If you're gonna take it to Alaska or whatever it will do fine on 0W20 too...we tested with Emgard Synthetic 0w20 back in the day.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
IIRC the "factory fill" from Allison was Mobil Delvac. Although the military would buy low bidder on whatever met MIL-L-2104D and you would find all kinds of unheard of producer names on the barrels.

If you're gonna take it to Alaska or whatever it will do fine on 0W20 too...we tested with Emgard Synthetic 0w20 back in the day.

Thanks for that.

CTIS aka Central Tire Inflation System guards.

Inflate/deflate tires any where anytime with the push of a button.

Great in theory but can be problematic.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Awesome truck! What are those things on the rims? They look like huge wheel weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back