15 Year/500,000 Mile Warranty???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by mcrn
Also look to see if they can total a vehicle if the price of the new transmission or engine is greater than the value of the truck.....like insurance.

I would assume that they all would to total a vehicle that needed a repair that exceeded the value of the vehicle.

Could be worse. They give you the trade in value of your car towards a new purchase at their dealership.

Many people will get tired of paying the exorbitant pm fees for their old clunker and drop out of the extended warranty plan.

Most people who elect to take advantage of this will pay for all their expensive (and in some cases, excessive) maintenance, and never end up keeping the car for 15 years. Sure, they're making money on it...hand over fist. There may occasionally be a 6-year old car that experiences some weird timing chain issue that grenades the heads, and those are the folks that get lucky, if you care to look at it from that perspective.

Like many have said, they'll make their money off of the schedule maintenance and most will sell or trade it in well before the major repairs are needed (plus the rigorous maintenance schedule my reduce major repairs).

I wouldn't touch a program like this with a ten foot pole.

Let's say they are charging $100 for an oil change, you could be spending an extra $70 right there. A coolant flush could run you $150. Brake fluid "flush" $150. Tire rotations, plugs, wires, "inspection of fluids", "brake checks", "suspension checks", "belt and hoses checks", "battery health inspections", "throttle body services", "induction cleanings". These are all money makers they can really get you on. You literally could spend an extra $300-$500 bucks a year if you drive a lot (and could have done these basic repairs yourself or had a trusted independent do it).

The OP stated that there is NO charge for the warranty. The OP stated that the maintenance schedule is that of the manufacturer, NOT the dealer. Don't compare this to DIY costs. The OP could opt out of dealer service whenever he feels that he is getting fleeced. Again, there is NO up front costs to this.

The Ford F150 factory maintenance schedule is on a 10,000 mile interval. It doesn't look overboard at all. I.E., the first spark plug and coolant change is at 100K miles: https://www.deanarbour.org/ford-f-150-maintenance-schedule.htm

All it takes is new management to come in and you're 15/500 warranty is non-existent. Had a buddy get screwed out of a bad tranny rebuild, "lifetime warranty" but the place went out of business 6 months after his repair. Now it's slipping and he has to pay another 3k

Originally Posted by doitmyself
The OP stated that there is NO charge for the warranty. The OP stated that the maintenance schedule is that of the manufacturer, NOT the dealer. Don't compare this to DIY costs. The OP could opt out of dealer service whenever he feels that he is getting fleeced. Again, there is NO up front costs to this.

The Ford F150 factory maintenance schedule is on a 10,000 mile interval. It doesn't look overboard at all. I.E., the first spark plug and coolant change is at 100K miles: https://www.deanarbour.org/ford-f-150-maintenance-schedule.htm

I think it really depends on how much that 10,000 mile service is - you have the oil change, the tire rotation, the inspection of the brakes, exhaust, steering and suspension systems. Then the 20,000 mile intervals throw in all of that plus the cabin air filter. The 30,000 mile service throws in all of that plus the engine air filter, inspection of the belts, hoses.

So if they are just charging you $100-$150 for these services, I'd say that's a pretty darn good deal, but if they're charging you $300-$450 for these services, then I think it's a different story. So $300-$500 bucks for what essentially is an oil change and tire rotation...I'd have to think long and hard about that. Because there are some dealers that charge $150 dollars to replace a simple cabin air filter that has two screws to remove. Or $100 to replace the engine filter. And if these services charge you for the tire rotations and various "inspections"?? And why can't we compare it to do it yourself costs? This is bob's the oil guy, most of us change our own oil (which essentially these services are). And most of us can easily do inspections, filter replacements and tire rotations, spark plugs, coolant. This is why a lot of us come here. This is relatively easy and basic maintenance.

Because of THIS SITE I have purchased over 100 quarts of brand name synthetic oil for under $2 dollars a quart, off clearance from autozone. A baragin and a half. Would have never known it existed if not for the section of THIS SITE that tells you about rebates and sales for motor oil. I have over 100 quarts of synthetic 0w20 Mobil1, Valvoline, Rotella Gas Truck, Quaker State Ultimate Durability...all for $2 a quart (or less after rebates). I can buy any air filter, oil filter, cabin filter, spark plug, known to man on Amazon for half what the dealer will charge. This is reality for a lot of people that come to this site.

But I DO agree, this does sound like a good deal for your average car/truck owner who isn't capable of working on their own cars (or doesn't want to), however the cost of those services will be the deal maker/breaker.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
And there is also what those expensive dealer service costs are going to be in the 10-15 year time frame.

Depends on the car. Mine, you only change the oil, air filter, oil filter, and the plugs get changed every 40K miles. Certainly not a very expensive regimen.

An Audi with a DCT? Oh ho ho! That's another story.

Last edited:
They know that 15 years is going to come way before 500k miles (if it doesn't highway miles are the only way to reach that which are the most gentle of miles) and a car/truck drivetrain well maintained will easily last 15 years. They will be reimbursed using the factory warranty or recalls for 95% of things that are going to go wrong and being a dealership they are still paying wholesale cost if they have to eat any of that warranty. There are still a bunch of things to maintain beyond the drivetrain to keep a vehicle into high miles: ball joints, tie rods, bushings, end links.... basically all steering and suspension components ESPECIALLY if you own a truck which is primarily what is keeping domestics afloat. If you own one you know replacing these things are common, fairly cheap and easy to do if you are a DIYer but will quickly drain your wallet if you have to pay somebody to do them. If you have that kind of warranty and a newer vehicle you are most likely to return to the same dealership to do all that work. You can best believe they aren't doing it because they are losing money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back