15 camaro 3.6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I bought a 15 Camaro with the 3.6 engine 50k miles. Using the dealer ACdelco synthetic oil it doesn't use a drop but I switched to PP because I don't want to go to the dealer for oil changes. The problem is using the PP 5-30 it uses oil, 1/3 qt every 1500 miles. Is there any other oil I could use that's as good as the Acdelco oil? I don't want to go to the dealer to buy the oil.

when you're saying "switched to PP" do you mean JiffyLube? I have a friend with Camaro who goes there. If yes make sure they've installed the filter properly and it's not leaking

Any "Dexos" certified 5w30 will perform similar in your engine

The 3.6L is notorious for timing chain issues so change the oil often. I recommend every 5k miles for that engine.

Try another brand and see if that helps. AcDelco is made by XOM. Give M1 5w30 a try

Originally Posted by CamaroB
I changed it myself, I can give the M1 a try for sure. TY

Costco has M1 on sale quite often, 6qt for $28
It's not on right now, but it will be pretty soon
Good luck!

The 3.6L is notorious for timing chain issues so change the oil often. I recommend every 5k miles for that engine.

The timing chain issues were on older versions of the 3.6 V6. The 2015 version has had many improvements.

Originally Posted by cos

The timing chain issues were on older versions of the 3.6 V6. The 2015 version has had many improvements.

This is correct, components were upgraded, but there are still miles of chain inside that engine, couple with DI and it's best to keep the intervals short.

I went to PP 0w-20 in our Silverado 5.3 DI for 2 OCIs (~6k each) and it began consuming about 1/3 quart every 1.5-2k miles. Never burned a drop of PP in the Jeep 3.6 Pentastar. Currently running Mobil 1 in the Silverado to see if consumption changes. Some engines just don't like certain oils.

Still use PP in my 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 with no oil consumption, also ran it in the wifes 15 GMC Terrain DENALI 3.6 with the same results, both had 5K oil changes.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back