12 Quart Bag in a Box

DSC_1750.JPG

I like the idea of a bag instead of the plastic jugs, so here I am.
I bought a 12 quart bag in a box of Super Tech today for $30.
At $2.50 a quart the price is hard to beat, plus they say ST FS oil is just about as good an oil as you're going to find in a non brand name oil.
3 DIY OCIs for $30 + tax and the price of oil filters.

The only inconvenience I see is measuring out the amount needed. Funny thing, I just bought hand sanitizer in a bag recently.

View attachment 29000

I like the idea of a bag instead of the plastic jugs, so here I am.
I bought a 12 quart bag in a box of Super Tech today for $30.
At $2.50 a quart the price is hard to beat, plus they say ST FS oil is just about as good an oil as you're going to find in a non brand name oil.
3 DIY OCIs for $30 + tax and the price of oil filters.
Unless you already own one of these dispensers, those boxes are a huge pain to use.

I also picked up a ST 12 quart box. I don't have any serious issue with the bag but I do find it an inconvenience over a 5 quart jug. Especially for recycling the used oil. Measuring out I can deal with. I loved the $2.50 a quart but future purchases will the 5 quart jug for me.

I can't help but wonder if Exxon-Mobil is making that oil in the boxes, as Walmart has been selling similar 12 qt boxes of Mobil 1.

Is that 0w20 SP or SN+?

Unless you already own one of these dispensers, those boxes are a huge pain to use.

I've used the bag in a box of Havoline and it wasn't bad.
I actually bought a plastic mixing bowl at Dollar Tree for $1 and I marked off 1 and 2 quart increments.
Then I should be able to pour off 2 quarts into my engine with no trouble.

Last edited:
I also picked up a ST 12 quart box. I don't have any serious issue with the bag but I do find it an inconvenience over a 5 quart jug. Especially for recycling the used oil. Measuring out I can deal with. I loved the $2.50 a quart but future purchases will the 5 quart jug for me.

I have 2 or 3 jugs for recycling the used oil.
People are too set in their ways and are refusing to step out of their norm by adapting to the 12 quart box.
The plastic jugs take hundreds of years to break down, but sadly, many people don't really care.

I care. I'm a New England boy. I was raised right. The motto was if everyone did their part the world would be a better place. I like the box...but it isn't easy in application. Skip the box and give me a tougher bladder. Instead of 12 quarts I'd like a 16 or 20 quart bladder. I realize the box is needed....thinking utopia.

And a well thought out way to meter the oil from the bladder is needed. I'm using a quart measuring device. Sure could use improvement.

Speaking of utopia, why not a pre-order. I need a 8 quart bladder of 5-30 ST synthetic. And boom! Wally has it ready for pick up a few days later. My car is a 5qt. Pre-order a 5qt bladder. Why not?

I care. I'm a New England boy. I was raised right. The motto was if everyone did their part the world would be a better place. I like the box...but it isn't easy in application. Skip the box and give me a tougher bladder. Instead of 12 quarts I'd like a 16 or 20 quart bladder. I realize the box is needed....thinking utopia.

And a well thought out way to meter the oil from the bladder is needed. I'm using a quart measuring device. Sure could use improvement.

Speaking of utopia, why not a pre-order. I need a 8 quart bladder of 5-30 ST synthetic. And boom! Wally has it ready for pick up a few days later. My car is a 5qt. Pre-order a 5qt bladder. Why not?
Better yet, how about a thick, long lasting re-fillable bladder with a valve that fits nicely to a standard sized oil fill hole. Plus, it'd be nice to get the bladder in the capacity you need or want. Then you just take it back and get it filled with whatever oil you specify? That'd knock out some pastic and cardboard use, right there.

People are too set in their ways and are refusing to step out of their norm by adapting to the 12 quart box.
The plastic jugs take hundreds of years to break down, but sadly, many people don't really care.
I grabbed 10 boxes of the ST when walmart had a crazy $10/box deal. I love the box concept. I have a couple 5 gallon buckets for used oil and use a have several empty 5 quart containers for transferring. I have the current use box on shelf and less than 20 seconds with the spout wide open to fill 5 quarts.

I go through over 100 quarts a year on oil. Sadly back to 5 quart jugs as my next stash to use is the RGT.

Waiting on Mobil 1 boxes to go on clearance ;)

Yes those boxes are hard to pour from. Last time I dumped half of it lol. Plus then I don’t have the jugs to reuse or keep for my collection.

have several empty 5 quart containers for transferring. I have the current use box on shelf and less than 20 seconds with the spout wide open to fill 5 quarts.
This. Plenty of the jugs have that level meter on the side that gets you within a row of ... holes of your capacity.

I have a feeling I'd like dispensing 3.7 quarts into an interim 5-qt jug. Then the subsequent pour into the motor will start with the jug sufficiently tipped over, so it won't dribble.

Waiting for these to go on sale here. My neighbors don't like new things so I don't think I'll have that long a wait. :D

The recycling service I use will accept motor oil jugs as long as they are washed. A lot of people do care about conserving resources and recycling, but depending where you live, lots of recycling programs wont accept plastic automotive chemical containers, period. I was pleasantly surprised to find the service I use. Just an fyi.

Back