'12 Odyssey EX-L trans filter

66k on 2012 Honda Odysesey EX-L. It is modified for handicap access and a wheelchair so carries more equipment onboard than unusual Odyssey design. Looking to start doing drain and fills on automatic trans. Plan is Honda ATF, then canister style trans filter change. $31 for factory "lifetime filter" or Beck Arnley, aftermarket, etc for $8. Anyone have experince with the Honda canister style auto trans filters?

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/2012-odyssey-external-in-line-transmission-filter.156596/

If my parts diagram-fu is correct, it looks like the 2011+ Odysseys have external, user-accessible ATF filters. Please refer to your respective "AT Oil Level Gauge - ATF Pipe" diagram.

5AT: 25450-P4V-013 (near the base of the ATF dipstick tube, under a 2-bolt cover)
6AT: 25430-PLR-003 (driver's side of the tranny case, about mid-height, held on by a bracket, lines have compression bands)

check schematics!

It's been supposed that the factory filter is really only there to catch "chunks". IMO, especially considering changing the original is very difficult, plus the fact that most Odysseys have run their whole lives with no filter changes, plus the fact that the factory filter is probably 80 microns efficient... stick an inline Magnefine and change every 30k. Put it someplace that's accessible and carry on
smile.gif

The 5AT in the '12 EXL does not have an easily accessible filter. Only in the 6AT in the higher trim levels are DIY level replacements. Some folks like to install Magnefine inline with the return hose so they can change it periodically.

I just change the ATF frequently to keep things fresh (3x drain and fill at 30k and then 1x drain and fill every year after). Not the same as changing the filter but it's all that can be done without opening the transmission case.

Just change the fluid frequently, say every 30k miles (or more frequently if it makes you feel better). Many folks have pulled these filters after 150k miles and considered them "clean", as in there was no need to replace it after all.

OK doing drain and fills now. Had the original fluid tested by Blackstone. Said it was past due for change. Really has me thinking about installing inline. Stealership says not accessible on 5AT.

OK doing drain and fills now. Had the original fluid tested by Blackstone. Said it was past due for change. Really has me thinking about installing inline. Stealership says not accessible on 5AT.
I just put a magnefine on our 15 ody.
It fits right in the oem filter holder.
The new steel ones.

Ob, you have the 5 speed.
There is a filter s little one.

Not to hard to get at just some time.
I replaced the filter on our 05 accord v6, same internal filter as your ody.

I wasn't being facetious about thanking you for the tips, I service many Hondas so it's good to know; why the hostility? I simply looked at the age of the question versus the answer.

I wasn't being facetious about thanking you for the tips, I service many Hondas so it's good to know; why the hostility? I simply looked at the age of the question versus the answer.
My response - - was not just for the OP.
It was for others who might be searching for an answer to the same question.

Sometimes it is hard to gauge the comments of others.

My apologies for the harshness of my response.
Take care

Back