11-12 K24 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my quest for a solid "beater" (I use that term loosely, I relatively mean it in the regard of just throwing miles on the thing), I have come back to think about the 8th Generation Accord.

My 2009 used a fair bit of oil. Those of you with 2011 or 2012 K24s, how is your oil consumption? From my past memory, I believe a lot of issues to this regard were resolved.

Also, those of you with the 11s and 12s, how are you 5-speed autos holding up?

Thanks.

Daughters 12 has 180,000 miles and no excess oil usage. I maintain it and go by the MM. Car runs as good as the day it was bought new.

I too was looking for a 'beater' due to my work commute. I went with a 2012 Fusion.

30mpg is pretty consistant, all UOAs that ive seen look fantastic. Lots of high mileage reports. I think they are also used as fleet vehicles/city/state/govt so parts are plenty and cheap.

I like the ergonomics, its fairly comfortable. The 2.5 duratec isnt loaded with power but its fairly smooth, and the trans shifts are buttery.

Oil changes are kind of aggravating with 2 different size sockets needed to remove the covers underneath. But not a deal breaker.

No timing belt, No CVT, No Direct Injection... So just gas and oil changes for me. Transmission fluid is an easy drop and fill as well.

Over 100K and no detectable oil usage.
Transmission shifts like new ( I do ATF changes at 30K intervals, however.)

TSX and Accord both have the K24 engine, the TSX has 205 HP and requires premium fuel, Accord has 164 HP and just regular fuel. 41 horses is a big difference.

Originally Posted by diyjake
TSX and Accord both have the K24 engine, the TSX has 205 HP and requires premium fuel, Accord has 164 HP and just regular fuel. 41 horses is a big difference.

correction the accord has 190 HP not 164 that makes more sense.

Thanks folks. Was doing some calculations.

I drive at minimum 50 miles per day, 250 miles per week, throw in an extra 100 for weekend activities.
Yearly, that is 18,200 miles.

Would be great to get some low to mid 30s MPGs.

Originally Posted by redhat

I drive at minimum 50 miles per day, 250 miles per week, throw in an extra 100 for weekend activities.

Accord Hybrid?

JHRZ2 and fdgc27 have some for 15k-20k miles already and seem very happy with them.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by redhat

Accord Hybrid?

JHRZ2 and fdgc27 have some for 15k-20k miles already and seem very happy with them.

I'm very happy with my HAH and fuel economy over the first ~20K averaged 47.9 mpg.
The thing is that a used Gen 9 or Gen 10 HAH wouldn't be very cheap while a Gen 8 is available at cheap and cheerful prices.
Our '12 Accord 4 cyl is now in the hands of my older son and is around 120K.
It uses little enough oil that adds are noT needed on ~8.5K drains at 15% MM. The autobox seems to be fine and works just as it should.
If you leg it and make it rev, it has quite decent power and is also the roomiest generation of Accord to date.
Fuel economy is pretty good if you resist the temptation to run it hard.
Set the cruise around 73 mph and fuel economy at moderate ambient temperatures would approach 35 mpg.
Low thirties should be easily achieved with only the driver aboard.

My 2011 CRV, before it was totaled needed about 1/2 quart at 114 k miles with 0/20. oil was changed every 5 -6 k miles with synthetic oil . ran like a top

We bought a 08 CRV 2.4L with 55K. Basic maintenance pretty much. Last two years of ownership the ac would come and go. Transmission servicing was as easy as changing the oil. 180K at trade in.

A Honda Accord Hybrid might make sense. I'll have to see how the new 10gen cars are. Might make sense to add one to the fleet.

I've started a few threads on my Gen 10 HAH since I bought it at the end of September 2018, so you might search for them.
As I wrote above, I've been very happy with the car.
In an era of persistent low fuel prices, there is continuing interest in trucks and CUVs and not as much in very efficient sedans, so you can get a great deal on a new HAH, as I did.
Even at a couple of bucks a gallon, you still save actual money with such a car if you drive enough miles that one would make sense for you.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I've started a few threads on my Gen 10 HAH since I bought it at the end of September 2018, so you might search for them.
As I wrote above, I've been very happy with the car.
In an era of persistent low fuel prices, there is continuing interest in trucks and CUVs and not as much in very efficient sedans, so you can get a great deal on a new HAH, as I did.
Even at a couple of bucks a gallon, you still save actual money with such a car if you drive enough miles that one would make sense for you.

Thank you I will search for some of your threads and read up. I've did a quick search and near me (Buffalo) I don't see many available. Did you have to go far, or have a dealer order, or perhaps luck had it you found one near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back