1.5L Honda turbo oil dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, we've seen quite a few reports like this.
5/10w30 and 5k miles would be my choice.

Originally Posted by Highkm
1st oil change on 2017 Honda CR-V 1.5l turbo. Note the level of fuel in oil. I has 20% of oil life before I changed the oil. I did very few short trips I.e less than 10km about 20 times in 11,000 Kim�s. I would say that Honda should limit the first use of oil to 5000kms otherwise the viscosity goes below acceptable levels. What do you think?

The level of fuel in the oil could also be if you took the sample incorrectly.
Oil must be at full operating temperature when sample is taken.

Other then that, enjoy your Honda, millions on the road dont have a UOA done and the engine rock solid. Me personally though, typically changes oil way before required, oil is cheap and I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Highkm
1st oil change on 2017 Honda CR-V 1.5l turbo. Note the level of fuel in oil. I has 20% of oil life before I changed the oil. I did very few short trips I.e less than 10km about 20 times in 11,000 Kim�s. I would say that Honda should limit the first use of oil to 5000kms otherwise the viscosity goes below acceptable levels. What do you think?

The level of fuel in the oil could also be if you took the sample incorrectly.
Oil must be at full operating temperature when sample is taken.

Other then that, enjoy your Honda, millions on the road dont have a UOA done and the engine rock solid. Me personally though, typically changes oil way before required, oil is cheap and I enjoy it.

2017 is the first year with DI turbo. I agree the 2.4 NA will last a lifetime.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
2017 is not the first year, it came out in the 2016 civic model.

This thread is about the CRV.

Regardless, still a short life. It's premature to draw conclusion about how reliable this engine is with three whole years of service.

even though I've been here a while, I never really got into the matrix of oil analysis, until now. School me if needed, but I have a question. That UOA on page 2 shows a sus visc. at 210 to be at 44.8. According to the visc. charts, that shows the oil sheared down just a tad below a 20W, which would still be high for a 10W. Looking at the Cst visc. at 100 and it showed 5.65. That equates to about the same, below the 20W, but high on the 10W. My question, yes, it's not in spec with a 20W oil, but it still is a strong 10W weighted oil. After reading a lot of post on this, I was lead to believe that the oil is absolutely trashed and will kill your engine because it's out of range. However, it is still protecting the engine as a 10W oil. Notice, I used the word protecting. Does a 10W oil not protect an engine also? The only spec that it's out of is because it now doesn't identify with a 20W, but that should be expected especially since it's a turbo and getting the heck beat out of it. I'm willing to bet that Honda knew this and tested for this as well and they are OK with it. I've read numerous forum from civic and crv owners that complained about dilution, but that's all they've done. Complain. I've only read one post that the owner claimed the dilution eroded his cams and caused engine failure and Honda is now giving him a new engine. The more I research into this, the more I'm learning that this whole dilution thing isn't that bad as everyone is making it out to be. The sky is NOT falling.

Originally Posted by webfors
2017 is not the first year, it came out in the 2016 civic model.

This thread is about the CRV.

Regardless, still a short life. It's premature to draw conclusion about how reliable this engine is with three whole years of service.

Understood, the it's the exact same engine. I'd think civic owners are a little more "gas foot" happier in a civic as opposed to a CRV

even though I've been here a while, I never really got into the matrix of oil analysis, until now. School me if needed, but I have a question. That UOA on page 2 shows a sus visc. at 210 to be at 44.8. According to the visc. charts, that shows the oil sheared down just a tad below a 20W, which would still be high for a 10W. Looking at the Cst visc. at 100 and it showed 5.65. That equates to about the same, below the 20W, but high on the 10W. My question, yes, it's not in spec with a 20W oil, but it still is a strong 10W weighted oil. After reading a lot of post on this, I was lead to believe that the oil is absolutely trashed and will kill your engine because it's out of range. However, it is still protecting the engine as a 10W oil. Notice, I used the word protecting. Does a 10W oil not protect an engine also? The only spec that it's out of is because it now doesn't identify with a 20W, but that should be expected especially since it's a turbo and getting the heck beat out of it. I'm willing to bet that Honda knew this and tested for this as well and they are OK with it. I've read numerous forum from civic and crv owners that complained about dilution, but that's all they've done. Complain. I've only read one post that the owner claimed the dilution eroded his cams and caused engine failure and Honda is now giving him a new engine. The more I research into this, the more I'm learning that this whole dilution thing isn't that bad as everyone is making it out to be. The sky is NOT falling.

Time will tell, but my money is on premature wear and possibly failure, depending on your definition of failure. Will it get most owners to 100k miles? Dunno, but they won't be the impenetrable 2.4 NA non-DI engines of the past, that I will guarantee you.

I shudder to think what the HTHS is of the oils that come out of these engines. Is there an explicit statement from Honda that a HTHS of ~2.0 will fully protect these engines under all use cases? Doubt it.

On my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6 Turbo, Hyundai specs 5-30 and 5-40 if you don't have 5-30. So in Minnesota summers it gets 0w-40 (Amsoil or Redline) and winter it get 0-30. I have $100 a year for oil instead of say Mobil 1 or PP at $55 a year. $50 extra, I am game.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
On my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6 Turbo, Hyundai specs 5-30 and 5-40 if you don't have 5-30. So in Minnesota summers it gets 0w-40 (Amsoil or Redline) and winter it get 0-30. I have $100 a year for oil instead of say Mobil 1 or PP at $55 a year. $50 extra, I am game.
banana2.gif

Looks like Hyundai gets it.

Originally Posted by mtxjohn
Terrible UOA. Extremely high wear and low viscosity. Time for a real synthetic

Lol let me guess the brand.

Looking back at your post history is all one needs to do.

Terrible UOA? For an engine with this low of mileage?
21.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC

Terrible UOA? For an engine with this low of mileage?
21.gif

100% what Steve says.

Fwiw, Consumer Reports is now on the case after multiple reader reports of excessive fuel dilution in Honda's 1.5T CRV engine. CR has asked for more reader input and has contacted Honda.

If Honda has been bad at responding to owners, CR seems to have its attention. CR says Honda is aware of the issue and will have a fix available to dealers by mid-November and 2019 models will be delivered with the fix applied.

No news about what the fix is, how comprehensive it might be, whether it applies to all 1.5T models and how it will be applied to 2016/17/18 models (I.e. all or just those that have demonstrated the problem).

So, this could be good news for owners. Or maybe it will just focus on behavior in very cold-weather climes and do nothing for what seems to be designed-in fuel dilution elsewhere. We'll see.

Of all the forums I've read about this and the facebook pages, and also the Civic 1.5T is NOT the same engine, I bet there are maybe....400 that have said they are having some dilution problems. There are only a handful that have claimed to have something in the order of 7 plus liters of "oil" drained from their crankcase. Now, Honda has sold well over 500000 of these CRV's with the 1.5T engine in them.....heck, let's say 1000 have some sort of issue...that's what 0.2%? 0.2%. Think about it. How many other manufacturers wish that only had that many complaints. I think Honda is being raked over the coals from social media and has created a juggernaut that is exploding exponentially without really understanding the situation.

Of all the forums I've read about this and the facebook pages, and also the Civic 1.5T is NOT the same engine, I bet there are maybe....400 that have said they are having some dilution problems. There are only a handful that have claimed to have something in the order of 7 plus liters of "oil" drained from their crankcase. Now, Honda has sold well over 500000 of these CRV's with the 1.5T engine in them.....heck, let's say 1000 have some sort of issue...that's what 0.2%? 0.2%. Think about it. How many other manufacturers wish that only had that many complaints. I think Honda is being raked over the coals from social media and has created a juggernaut that is exploding exponentially without really understanding the situation.

I would bet 99% of people don't bother to voice their opinions online. We bitogers are the exception, not the norm. What we should be looking at is the ratio of non turbo-DI complaints vs turbo-DI complaints from Honda owners.

The reality is, these engines will probably last a good long time as long as owners take some responsibility for mitigating against the inherent risks of DI (especially forced induction DI). Run a 30 weight, change more often, run an intake cleaner from birth. I bet my ATS engine will be fine with that regiment.

Or don't, have complete blind faith in Honda, and wait and see
grin.gif

Originally Posted by webfors
I would bet 99% of people don't bother to voice their opinions online. We bitogers are the exception, not the norm. What we should be looking at is the ratio of non turbo-DI complaints vs turbo-DI complaints from Honda owners.

I spent all of Thanksgiving Monday complaining about the Toyota transmission in threads others started in other forums, followed by writing reviews to places like Edmunds, CR etc. anywhere I could to warn others how terrible the 8-speeds are from them.

It is the same engine with slightly different tunes. And, if the problem is as rare as you think, isn't it curious that Honda is releasing a solution and delivering 2019 models with it applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back