1/4" Locking Extensions - Matco?

1675805863277.jpg

Not a huge fan of Matco's business model of reboxing, but I am looking for a set of 1/4" collar-style locking extensions. My top contender had been SK 4941, but it appears that the Matco's are less expensive.

Are these being made by A.J. mfg.? Product page states USA.

Another vote for Williams. I recently bought two 3/8" drive Williams locking extensions at Amazon, and have zero regrets. .

About 30 years ago I went to my local SEARS on a Black FRIDAY sale, like I always did every year.
They were selling a set of Craftsman 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive extension, swivels, and drive adapters, all in one set for the low price of $9.95.
Can you imagine the total price of these if you bought them individually? :oops:
BTW, these were Made In USA before they started making their tools overseas. 🇺🇲

No offence but $130 for that is crazy money. Williams are every bit as good and 10-19 each, the Matco cost more (a lot) than Stahlwille. Its 1/4" light duty not 1/2" impact rated.
No disagreement. I guess I didn't search hard enough earlier, but it appears that Proto makes some as well - but for a far more reasonable price.

I'm not a fan of the Stahlwille push-button style.

Look pretty similar to the "Gearwrench" set I have, with the short section of knurling in the same location

No disagreement. I guess I didn't search hard enough earlier, but it appears that Proto makes some as well - but for a far more reasonable price.

I'm not a fan of the Stahlwille push-button style.
I just looked at the Williams ones I have, they are very well made, same tool as Blue Point. If you never tried the Stahlwille ones you may want to buy a short one for cheap and try it. They are very good and slim, the button does not get hung up on anything, but to each their own.

Why would someone need a locking extension? Does their socket keep falling off the end?

Especially cheap rubber insert spark plug sockets down a deep hole or at the the engine side next to the firewall or even worse both.

Reactions: D60
Especially cheap rubber insert spark plug sockets down a deep hole or at the the engine side next to the firewall or even worse both.
I have nightmares about losing a socket in a deep plug well! I've had several times where your heart starts to race a bit and you think "oh ###$".

To date I've always been able to work around it.....

It can, and usually does in the worst possible place.
I use to have that problem with Craftsman tools. I sold most of them off and replaced them with Snap-on. No more sockets falling off. I'd get some locking extensions if I needed them, but has long as I use Snap-on sockets with Snap-on extensions, I have no problem with sockets falling off. They "snap" together very tight.

I use to have that problem with Craftsman tools. I sold most of them off and replaced them with Snap-on. No more sockets falling off. I'd get some locking extensions if I needed them, but has long as I use Snap-on sockets with Snap-on extensions, I have no problem with sockets falling off. They "snap" together very tight.
I have a nice collection of Snap-On ratchets, which I build upon over the past ten years now. I also have a few extensions, pliers and some of their sockets. I do have Williams sockets, several sets made in the US by Snap On. I've had a few of the 1/4" drive SO come off the ratchet itself, and extension. Regarding "snap", my observation is the system is good, it's not fool proof. Back on topic I found locking extensions to be useful. As always opinions vary.

First time I have seen a set of locking wobble extensions. Who else sells locking wobbles?
Not sure - they may be the only ones?

I anticipate them being a high warranty item though.....price probably reflects this.

Back