1/2 drive deep sockets

What kind of work is being done with the sockets? Pittsburgh Pro has taken a lot of abuse from me I get the value of higher end sockets in professional/high volume applications where tolerance stack can cause issues down the line.

Mainly suspension work. I am currently working on a '69 Rambler wagon and converting the front to disc brakes.

Great I will definitely get some then. I have no problem with them being Taiwan I have had good luck with Taiwan stuff. I have broke a lot of the Pittsburgh they are kind of weak same with the Gearwrench in my experience. Especially with these Toyota starting to use more Allen stuff now I will need them for sure.

See if your Snap-on rep will cut you a cash deal on some bit sockets, You probably only need certain sizes being a dealer tech.

For the sockets I agree with a few others here on the Williams they are great sockets so are Wright and Proto and SK they are all expensive somewhat but definitely worth it another I recommend is Armstrong even though I heard they aren’t made anymore maybe you could find a used set somewhere. Also Kobalt are very nice if you can find them anywhere it seems Lowe’s has pretty much given up Kobalt. And the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro are fine along with their Quinn brand. I have no personal experience with Icon stuff really so I can’t speak on those.

Armstrong made a lot of quality tools for Matco, Believe it's a zombie now.

Armstrong made a lot of quality tools for Matco, Believe it's a zombie now.
I definitely will see my dealer about them. I know he doesn’t stock any Williams stuff so I will have him order them if he will. And yeah I agree they were quality tools. It’s a shame they aren’t around now I have a lot of their sockets.

o_O Not even in the same class.

You are right, ICON is not in the same class as Snap On....I feel that they are superior to my Snap on set. I use the ICON more and they are priced where Snap on SHOULD be. Sorry, I used to be a Snap On snob but no more - they are not the holy grail any longer.

How are the ICON tools holding up? How are they compared to the snap-on tools?

They are holding up beautifully. I have them front and center as my go to set now. I moved my Snap On sets to another box that holds my back up tools.

How can you like ICON more than Snap-on? I've used Span-on tools and love them but being a DIY mechanic I am going buying Snap-on due to their price, even used they are way too expensive for my blood. I am debating between ICON from Harbor Freight or Tekton Tools which also seem to be a very decent tool for the money. William tools seem like good tools but options seem more limited.

You are right, ICON is not in the same class as Snap On....I feel that they are superior to my Snap on set. I use the ICON more and they are priced where Snap on SHOULD be. Sorry, I used to be a Snap On snob but no more - they are not the holy grail any longer.

I am in no way a Snap on snob but some (not all) of their tools especially specialty tools are superior to almost anything on the market. I looked at the Icon stuff, its not worth 1/2 of what they are charging for it. I have been using quality tools for 50 years in Sept and know tat from high end, Icon is not high end it is mid tier at best.

A telltale sign of a quality ratchet is they sell a rebuild kit and replacement comfort grips if applicable for it, Snap on, Hazet, Stahlwille, Williams, Proto, Wright, even Carlyle has rebuild kits. Icon is typical HF and has nothing.
It is all well and good saying they will replace the tool but they like Craftsman change suppliers so the nice ratchet you had may now be a POS but that is what you are getting.

Just saying, better high quality tools are available that are much better than Icon for the same money sometimes even less.

Price aside (Because you can purchase used Snap-on sockets cheap)......What makes the ICON sockets superior to Snap-on sockets? And what sockets are being compared here?

I bought most of my hand tools before all these choices were available.......You had the tool trucks (Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, Mac), Craftsman, & Industrial brands like Martin, Proto, & S-K Wayne. Not going to run out & replace stuff......But curious all the same.

I buy mostly Snap-on for the service first & foremost, High quality is a real close 2nd. My rep has literally gave me extra replacement drives for my Breaker Bar, 1/2"-3/8" reducer, & T40 & TP50 bit sockets. If I call him.....He'll be at my shop in 30 minutes or less.
Supporting US manufacturing is also something I like to do.

Price aside (Because you can purchase used Snap-on sockets cheap)......What makes the ICON sockets superior to Snap-on sockets? And what sockets are being compared here?

I bought most of my hand tools before all these choices were available.......You had the tool trucks (Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, Mac), Craftsman, & Industrial brands like Martin, Proto, & S-K Wayne. Not going to run out & replace stuff......But curious all the same.

I buy mostly Snap-on for the service first & foremost, High quality is a real close 2nd. My rep has literally gave me extra replacement drives for my Breaker Bar, 1/2"-3/8" reducer, & T40 & TP50 bit sockets. If I call him.....He'll be at my shop in 30 minutes or less.
Supporting US manufacturing is also something I like to do.
Just curious who sold Martin tools and who made them? I have never heard of them.

I saw this happen just a couple of weeks ago, my friend Frank (demarpaint) was looking at something and he noticed it too. It was one price one day then bumped up the next, a coupon came in the email that day for 25%. Not saying this happens all the time but be aware and shop before pulling the trigger
Yep, unfortunately they play games with prices and coupons from time to time lately. Having said that add me to the Williams list for some very nice quality sockets. Just shop around.

Martin Tool & Forge, A division of Martin Sprocket & Gear Company......

I was just talking about my favorite EGR tube nut wrenches.....Which are Martin 12 point Flare Nut striking/slugging wrenches.
My Cornwell 4-way wrenches are also made by Martin Tool & Forge......Also have numerous Martin Punches & Chisels.

A lot of their tools are forged right here in my hometown......Fort Worth, Texas.

3jIsIsJ.jpg

sWMMUYa.jpg

Martin Tool & Forge, A division of Martin Sprocket & Gear Company......

I was just talking about my favorite EGR tube nut wrenches.....Which are Martin 12 point Flare Nut striking/slugging wrenches.
My Cornwell 4-way wrenches are also made by Martin Tool & Forge......Also have numerous Martin Punches & Chisels.

A lot of their tools are forged right here in my hometown......Fort Worth, Texas.

3jIsIsJ.jpg

sWMMUYa.jpg
Very cool I only have one 12 point flare nut wrench and it’s a Bonney 7/8x1 inch I have never found a use for it honestly. It would be cool to find some Martin somewhere

Mainly suspension work. I am currently working on a '69 Rambler wagon and converting the front to disc brakes.

I can tell you my limited suspension work went very easy with a $25 set of Stanley impact sockets and a cordless 1/2" impact wrench. Places where it was impossible to get a breaker bar and cheater to loosen tight nuts came off no problem.

If it was me and on a certain budget, I'd spend the money on a good impact wrench first and get budget sockets or shop around for some higher quality used ones.

Reactions: JC1
My brother and I were breaking down four 2000 kW Caterpillar gensets to be removed from a building. All we ever owned was Snap On. Someone stole his 1/2" deep sockets at the job. He left and came back with a set of Icons. They were a fraction of what Snap On cost. So far, so good.
I'll post back if they fail. He uses em all the time.

Back