0w8?

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by StevieC
^^ Name any OE that hasn't had woes from time to time. It happens... That doesn't mean they shouldn't be held in high regard for reliability when a pattern doesn't exist past this group of bad frames.

It doesn't exist past this group of frames?

1. Delphi crap A/C blowers and wiring - expensive, widespread known issues.
2. Garbage door lock actuators requiring $400 per door or a complete disassembly of the unit to fix (if this happens to you let me know I'll save ya a bunch of money).
3. Head gasket failures - rampant in early year trucks.
4. Rotten engine mounts.
5. I've had 4 sets of leaf springs on my truck due to various recalls and failures.
6. T/C actuator failures - very common, along with garbage needle bearings and a penchant to eat wheel bearings like candy.

That is just second gen Tacoma's.

I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

Toyota is NOT this omniscient manufacturer producing only the finest of leather bound goods. They are a vehicle manufacturer riding on their reputational laurels while their real-world quality goes the way of mid-90's GM.

They don't call Toyota's "yesterday's truck at tomorrows prices" for nothin.

I never heard that said before.

We all have our favorite and detested brands. I would take a Toyota any day over a Ford. I've owned both.

I own a Toyota. 20 years of frames over two vehicle generations that rot out is the definition of "screwing over your customers."

Toyota used to build (and still can - landcruiser) vehicles that were built well. Their QA/QC and manufacturing processes were copied by numerous other automakers.

The difference between manufacturers is not what it used to be, and current Toyota reliability is nowhere near mythical status that some of you are talking about.

Toyota has (for years now) relied on stuffing old technology into new vehicles and extending generations for a decade or more to inflate their reliability metrics. If you are fine paying top dollar for outdated tech then by all means, spend your money on a Toyota.

Y'all need to see a doctor for your THS. It's treatable these days and no longer a death sentence.

I'll stop now, since this has nothing to do with 0w-8 oil.

So they have been taking their engines from decades ago and just simply running them on 0w16 in the new Camry and will do the same with 0w8?

Also the D4-S dual injection engine was also available decades ago? What about the UA-80 series transmissions? Decades old?

Last edited:
The rate of improvement has sped up pretty quickly. Engines can get updates and changes inside from one year to the next and only the well knowledgeable people will know. To the regular customer it's the same engine for the past ten years. Are they sure?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
^^ Name any OE that hasn't had woes from time to time. It happens... That doesn't mean they shouldn't be held in high regard for reliability when a pattern doesn't exist past this group of bad frames.

Did you read what I said? "No one is perfect, not even Toyota." Furthermore many OE's changed specs on oil, after real world testing proved there were problems, up a grade, or down a grade take your pick. You knew that too. Is that going to be the case here? I have no clue, and either do you. So lets say maybe, maybe not. All I'm saying is "I'll" wait for real world proof from the early adaptors, not speculation. I'd rather not dive in head first.

This wasn't for you.

I could have sworn you quoted me. Oh well.......
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
The rate of improvement has sped up pretty quickly. Engines can get updates and changes inside from one year to the next and only the well knowledgeable people will know. To the regular customer it's the same engine for the past ten years. Are they sure?

It's why they often ask for VIN numbers now when you are buying parts because of different revisions and why non OEM parts won't work properly in a certain application.

Last edited:

Did you read what I said? "No one is perfect, not even Toyota." Furthermore many OE's changed specs on oil, after real world testing proved there were problems, up a grade, or down a grade take your pick. You knew that too. Is that going to be the case here? I have no clue, and either do you. So lets say maybe, maybe not. All I'm saying is "I'll" wait for real world proof from the early adaptors, not speculation. I'd rather not dive in head first.

This wasn't for you.

I could have sworn you quoted me. Oh well.......
smile.gif

I promise I'm not friends with a Mod and had it changed....
lol.gif

^^
No mods changed anything, you either quoted me or mentioned me in this thread.
wink.gif
My mind still functions properly, although some people may beg to differ.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Cruising youtube and came across some videos with discussion of oil companies developing 0w8 oil. Any truth to this?

Yes and it will cause widespread engine destruction unless a 0w40 is used. It's meant to implode engines right after the warranty to encourage built in obsolescence.
lol.gif

Sounds like we found our first volunteer to "test it out".
grin2.gif

Don't forget there is lots of Camry's running around on 0w16 now when folks here think 20wt is too thin. So if I had an engine calling for 0w8 I would have no aversion to running it.

You mean if you had an engine that called for 0W-16 you'd try a 0W-8 ... ??

Demarpaint, it's the same argument when 20wts were first introduced over a decade ago and the 20w50 crowd here was crying... The engineers know what they are doing and no one wants their product to implode just after the warranty, especially not Toyota which sells the vehicles they do based on their reputation of reliability.

Yes, the engineers know they can cut some life out of engines to get better gas mileage (CAFE) and still make the car last long enough until someone gets bored with it and sells or trades it in.
grin2.gif

3rd party made parts and design oversight. It happens. No OE is perfect and especially when you have tons of vehicles on the road using thousands and thousands of parts made all over the place in multiple plants.

That's ultimately the fault of the parent company using vendors to make parts ... not enough over-sight on the design, production and QA. Companies try to cut costs and it usually bites them in the arse along the way.

3rd party made parts and design oversight. It happens. No OE is perfect and especially when you have tons of vehicles on the road using thousands and thousands of parts made all over the place in multiple plants.

That's ultimately the fault of the parent company using vendors to make parts ... not enough over-sight on the design, production and QA. Companies try to cut costs and it usually bites them in the arse along the way.

Every company is guilty of this. The "domestic" brands are the worst offenders if you want to point fingers.

No I mean if it called for 0w8, I'd run 0w8.

No ... we want you to run 0W-8 in an engine speced for 0W-20. Come on, you know it won't "hurt" it.
grin2.gif

No I mean if it called for 0w8, I'd run 0w8.

No ... we want you to run 0W-8 in an engine speced for 0W-20. Come on, you know it won't "hurt" it.
grin2.gif

I never made any claim about using a lower weight oil than was spec'ed. That's others... Not myself. If it is spec'ed for 0w8 I'll do it. Until then ask the member with the old Corolla if he will try it. Or throw it in a Honda 1.5T those are most likely running 8wt's with all their fuel diltution.
grin2.gif

Last edited:

Every company is guilty of this. The "domestic" brands are the worst offenders if you want to point fingers.

I'm not pointing fingers ... and it happens in other industries beside car companies. Lots of over-sight and QA cost lots of money, even if someone else is doing that work.

We always used the term "better, faster, cheaper" at work. You can never have all 3 at the same time if you expect to made it in big business. Pick any two and that's what you get.

I'm not pointing fingers ... and it happens in other industries beside car companies. Lots of over-sight and QA cost lots of money, even if someone else is doing that work.

We always used the term "better, faster, cheaper" at work. You can never have all 3 at the same time if you expect to made it in big business. Pick any two and that's what you get.

There are several companies that pretty much make stuff for everyone. The names are well known

Has anyone noticed that all the steering wheels in vehicles today all look the same? Right now it's the 3 spoke T wheel.

Demarpaint, it's the same argument when 20wts were first introduced over a decade ago and the 20w50 crowd here was crying... The engineers know what they are doing and no one wants their product to implode just after the warranty, especially not Toyota which sells the vehicles they do based on their reputation of reliability.

Yes, the engineers know they can cut some life out of engines to get better gas mileage (CAFE) and still make the car last long enough until someone gets bored with it and sells or trades it in.
grin2.gif

Absolutely! And then there's people like myself that run some of their vehicles until they beg to be junked. I don't care about the 3 or so ounces of fuel I might save on a tank of gas running the CAFE brew either. If I did I wouldn't own 2 Jeeps and an old van. LOL

Don't forget there is lots of Camry's running around on 0w16 now when folks here think 20wt is too thin. So if I had an engine calling for 0w8 I would have no aversion to running it.

Just a hypothetical, but I wonder what the OEMs in North America would do if fuel economy tested involved using a reference SAE 30. Would we be back to climate based charts, or would we see something like dexos1 migrate back to one viscosity only, or a minimum HTHS European style? Would we see dire warnings about viscosity disappear, including GM's long standing ane explicit warnings against 10w-40 and 20w-50?
wink.gif

Back