0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am commuting 160 km daily, five days a week, only highway.

Current fill is 0w20 from the dealership, which I believe her in Canada is Petro Canada 0w20 oil.

Is there better oil alternative to squeeze out the max mpg out of my car? I drive conservative for economy.

Thanks!

You will get better mileage with properly inflated tires and a less heavier foot on the throttle. Is this the Mazda? That 2.0 is very fuel efficient.

It might be the same on yours but on my CX5 with the 2.5 I find that just lifting off the throttle just so slightly maintains speed but increases fuel economy. In my info window to the right of the speedometer I can select a option that displays a instant mpg readout. I don't know if yours has this but it is a good tool to show what I mean.

What kind of mileage do you get now? Also, winter fuel economy will be lower.

My 2012 mazda3 2.0 skyactive gets 40 mpg highway with 0W20. Like it was mentioned, tire pressure will affect your mileage more than a different oil.

You could look to a 0w20 that had a lower pour point or a better base stock. Castrol Magnatec 0w20 at -51 is pretty impressive. I think a plug in block heater would serve you more than any special oil. Enjoy your car

Originally Posted by B6_Dolphin
OP - what is your OCI since most of your mileage is all highway?

That was my first thought....OP is a great candidate for extended drains at 3200km / 1800 miles per month.

NO on the oil. >>> Tires aired up, limited warmup, slow roll up to thru lights by timing traffic, engine off at lights, no idling. Moderate acceleration up to O.D. speed (~45mph)

Did the manufacturer's ever fix Auto transmissions so they don't unlock torque converters when you lift the throttle?

That drove me nuts when I try for max F.E. - which involves running at high vacuum low ( or the correct) rpm. That mean continuously lifting the throttle to make sure you just crack the TB.

Its why I'm back to a stick.

Last edited:
Slight gains with open( glasspack) exhaust. Since it's all
highway you should investigate larger diameter tires that will fit( not wheels).

Not a lot more you can do to squeeze mileage out, maybe a tune if someone near you does that.

Only other thing would be to shed some weight. Carrying anything in the vehicle you don't need, take it out. Anyone use that back seat? Take it out.

Probably not better oil for mpg other than some barely measurable value. You might be able to get better mpg if you block part of your radiator / grill to improve aerodynamics in the winter.

Originally Posted by kschachn
No. Fuel economy is exactly why 20-grade oils were developed.

Really? In the early 1960's they were concerned about fuel economy?

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Those 20-grade oils (which you are correct were for cold weather) were not like today's 20-grade oils. As has been discussed here, even as recently as Mobil 1's original 5W-20 the "20" didn't mean the same thing as it does today.

Those 20-grade oils (which you are correct were for cold weather) were not like today's 20-grade oils. As has been discussed here, even as recently as Mobil 1's original 5W-20 the "20" didn't mean the same thing as it does today.

This.

Those early 20 grades were completed different. I think I remember seeing them referred to as "20w-20"?

My dad ran mobil1 5w20 in the 80's and had to get it from the Mobil distributor for his corvette. He recently passed away but still has an old can of it on a shelf. I gotta believe a 0-20 of today can surpass what yesteryears 10-30 can do as far as protection goes.

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Hi guys,

I am commuting 160 km daily, five days a week, only highway.

Current fill is 0w20 from the dealership, which I believe her in Canada is Petro Canada 0w20 oil.

Is there better oil alternative to squeeze out the max mpg out of my car? I drive conservative for economy.

Thanks!

In the past, Petro Canada was known for producing quality oils with near-lowest viscosity numbers. You may not find thinner, unless you blend-in some 0W16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back