0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Really? In the early 1960's they were concerned about fuel economy?

Those 20-grade oils (which you are correct were for cold weather) were not like today's 20-grade oils. As has been discussed here, even as recently as Mobil 1's original 5W-20 the "20" didn't mean the same thing as it does today.

This was years prior to Mobil 1...

I have a Quaker State Lubrication guide that covers 1987-1996 and some manufacturers state not to use 5W-30 in "extended highway" usage (dated more towards 87' than 95''). Is 5W-30 not the same, too?

But I agree, the base oils were absolutely not the same!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by kschachn
Really? In the early 1960's they were concerned about fuel economy?

Those 20-grade oils (which you are correct were for cold weather) were not like today's 20-grade oils. As has been discussed here, even as recently as Mobil 1's original 5W-20 the "20" didn't mean the same thing as it does today.

This.

Those early 20 grades were completed different. I think I remember seeing them referred to as "20w-20"?

No, actually "5W-20" in several period manuals, for winter use only of course...

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Hi guys,

I am commuting 160 km daily, five days a week, only highway.

Current fill is 0w20 from the dealership, which I believe her in Canada is Petro Canada 0w20 oil.

Is there better oil alternative to squeeze out the max mpg out of my car? I drive conservative for economy.

Thanks!

I sincerely doubt you'll notice much difference switching brands, but you could try Mobil 1 AFE, if you don't end up paying a lot more for the oil itself up there...

I have a Quaker State Lubrication guide that covers 1987-1996 and some manufacturers state not to use 5W-30 in "extended highway" usage (dated more towards 87' than 95''). Is 5W-30 not the same, too?

But I agree, the base oils were absolutely not the same!

Correct. 5w-30 was considered too "thin" for extended highway use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back